Breeding fighters

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had another look and theres alot more than I thought, they're all over the sponge filter and under the sponge filter and behind the sponge fiter (I think they like the sponge fiter LOL :lol: :lol: )

Will the fry be alright sitting on the boottom? The male spits about 10 in the nest and then those 10 knock 5 out so theres still heaps of fry on the bottom

Thats it :D

If your sponge filter is running, turn it right down and after a few days slowly turn it up again. I think the suction will be too strong for the newly hatched fry to pull away from it to swim.

If its not running leave it off for a few days and then very very slowly turn it on and up.

You really can only hope so.

IME and I've now had nearly 3 years of breeding fighters the majority will - as they absorb their sac - find the strength to get themselves back up if the male doesn't do it.

Trying to help them doesn't work and will only upset the male. If he's ignoring some then they probably are not viable anyway. Some won't make it but for everyone that doesn't theres probably another you can't see that will.

Take it from me - if you get 50 that make it past the air breathing stage that will be absolutely plenty for you to look after. It takes quite a bit of time to manage even that many fighters.

The strongest will survive and thats what you want. They are the ones that will grow the biggest and have the best finnage. The small and weak won't.

Sweet as. It's not the male isn't trying it's just these guys are hyperactive theyt won't stay there and then they knock others out and so on.

sounds all good then. By tomorrow the stronger of them will be starting to swim horizontally. Its then up to you when you take the male out.

A suggestion is that when you first remove him from the actual area where the fry are that you leave him in a container within the tank in case he has got a few fry in his mouth. After about 15 mins put him where ever you are going to keep him.

The fry aren't swimming around horizontially but they can (If that make sense). Last night when they fell they could only swim up but now they can swim horizontially for a short time. The male isn't picking any/many up off the bottom any more so is it time to take him out.

OK he's doing more now so I'll leave him in for a few more hours. When there free swimming does that mean they can swim around like a normal fish or does it mean when they fall they can swim horizontially??

technically - when they swim like a fish.

However, its at this stage that if the male is sick of it he may get hungry. Mine have never eaten live fry but apparently some do.

Take him out by this evening I would think.

I've taken the male out (making most of the fry fall to the bottom doing it :oops: ) now I just hope they turn free swiming quickly.

I took my male out as soon as they hatched :-?
Did they survive ?

Oh OK. Should I put some microworms in for when they do become free swimming?? The microworms stay alive for ages so they should still be there for when they are free swimming.

wait until they have absorbed the egg sacs (the white bits on their bodies).

then put in some green water or microworms or whatever you're going to feed them. don't over feed though as it is virtually impossible to do a vacuum of the tank for several weeks.

OK. What colour will there bodys turn after the egg sack is gone? I've got microworms and #1 for egg layers (It's called something like that)

just wait until you can't see it - up to three days, so about tomorrow. the colour of the body is dependant on the colour they will be (not as in red/blue etc as that takes time

but clear = whitish, dark = solid colour).

Some of them are free swimming today so I put some microworms in but I didn't notice any get eaten. Can they eat microworms when they are newy free swimming?