Quoted price, cash vs. excl gst ??

David R

Last week I was given a quote to build a steel stand for my new 5' tank, he said

"I'll do it for $450 cash.", I agreed and paid a $200 deposit for him to buy the steel. I just got a text from him saying it'll be "ready tomorrow, $450 +gst, balance = $306.25."

If he quoted me a price, saying "cash" and not saying "excluding gst", is he allowed to try to claim the quote didn't include gst? I would have thought that unless otherwise stated, any price/quote would be including gst, we're not america ffs!!

Am I with-in my rights to tell him to getf****d and only pay $450, or is it my fault for not clarifying weather or not it included gst?

"A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it is written on" - but 'cash' usually means that it is the final price and that they aren't going to declare the income for tax purposes. If he has now decided to put the job on the books, then I would think that the 'cash' price should become the gst inclusive price (i.e. $400 + gst)

every body in business needs and has to pay GST

I will often say a job is say $500 plus GST cash... in other words, I need cash or a bank cheque or EFTPOS as Im not prepared to open an account for you... one off jobs and all the checks that we need to do to make sure we are not going to be ripped off make opening an acount simply not worth while.

To do a job without including GST is simply not worth the risk and dont forget that all the related costs that go with the job, we have to pay GST on anyway so its just not worth while.

I cant comment on this guy but you need to sort things like this out first.

If he was doing a tax free job then hes a bluudy idiot and probably over charging to begin with although the cost sounds good to me

i understand where he is coming from, because it was a transfer it has to be put through the books.

cash means cash.

too many people ask for a cashy then want to give you a cheque :evil: .

dont think id ever find any money for new fish/toys etc if it werent for cashys.

its only wrong if you get caught :wink:

hats right if you are paying in cash ie twenty dollar notes it sometimes doesn't make it to the books ie a perk for the person doing it. if you pay by internet banking "uncle sam" can see it and wonders where the gst is......

you should ask when buying something like this how would you like your cash?????

A verbal contract is a contract just like a written contract but the problem is in proving what was said. He was going to do the job for crinklies and put it in his pocket, but now has to pay gst etc. Cash is cash and it crinkles. I used to buy second hand glass for a donation to the social club (in cash)

Yeah you don't know them, I was actually referring to the neighbours next door to work. There's nothing like working hard on a hot friday while you listen to the neighbours get on the piss from about 10am, laughing and singing while you're sweating and longing for 5pm....