Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

using a vaccume

Featured Replies

I was wondering if real experienced fish keepers use there mouth to suck on the siphon to drain their water instead of vacuuming it out by shaking it. Which way do you think is the best way to start the vacuuming process. Thanks! I really would detest a mouth full of fish water! YUCK

I suck to start the siphon. After a while you get to know when to stop sucking before getting a mouthfull of tank water by the change in pressure i.e. it becomes easier to suck because the waters flowing.

put the large part of the vac in....

hold it on side fill it up keep it under water then lift it out with the hole end up right....

put your thumb on the end that you have been sucking on....

lift the large end out that has the water in it hold that higher than the end with your thumb on it the water should go down towards your thumb.....

repeat until the whole thing is full of water....

take thumb off end and if the end with your thumb on it in lower than the vac end it should start to flow when you take your thumb off....

all about gravity....

sorry if this doesn't make any sense.... bit hard to explain with out showing you

Sure, takes 3 seconds to put the whole hose in the tank, plug the end and pull it out then replace all the bits and pieces of driftwood you've knocked over if you have the normal 2 foot long. Mine is 20 feet long. Sucking either one takes 2 seconds.

I have my vacuum attached to a full length of hose. I put it in with the hose attached and fill the vacuum with water. Turn it up out of the water to start the water running down the hose and then put it back in horizontly until the water is running in the vacuum and out via the hose at the same time then fully submerge it. Also takes about three seconds. Sounds hard but isn't. Trial and error works, whatever is the easiest for you and your tank size I guess.

I really would detest a mouth full of fish water! YUCK

Mine is 20 feet long. Sucking either one takes 2 seconds.

One is to assume from the original post that they did not have a 20' hose, because they mentioned drinking tap water Ira.

If they did have a 20' hose, sucking to start the syphon doesn't lead to drinking tank water.

Of course putting a 20' hose into a small aquarium is a stupid idea.

I find it quick and easy to just suck start it - keeping a diligent eye on the hose! One mouthful of putrid bottom of the tank axolotl water was enough to see me siphoning on an every other day schedule :oops:

And not that I make a habit of drinking it, but I'm happy to report our guppy tank water tastes so much better :lol:

i use a gravel sucker thing it works good as just push it down bout 3 times and water starts to siphon like $8 at the lfs and it fits to the end of a hose so it can be real long

Yeah I suck.

But only because those crappy auto-start syphons last like a month before the seal breaks :roll: :roll:

Remember though, good fishkeepers don't swallow.

Remember though, good fishkeepers don't swallow

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caper

My partner works at a place where they identify the source of people getting sick etc and they have had traces of Salmonella from Fish tank water. Now she's absolutely paranoid and makes sure I wash my hands throughly after touching fish tank water. :lol:

I think Salmonella is more common when handling turtles. There have been cases of little kids that hold turtles then stick their fingers in their mouths getting Salmonella poisoning.

Getting back to the topic (sorry :oops:), I just fill the vac then tip it upright to get water down to the other end of the hose then put the vac back in the water and let any air out. Same way as Subzero I think? Works well.

:wink:

I would have to agree with your partner. But salmonella is common on lots of pets,eg. cats dogs mice rats lizards sparrows and all sorts. I fill my tanks with a hose connected to the kitchen tap. I fill the hose with water from the tap then unsnap the connector and siphon the tank onto the garden---easy as.

All I do is put the hose in the tank turn it on let it run 4 a bit then unplug the hose at the tap end and wham instant siphon. Me = no sucky sucky :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.