can you legally sell koura?

livingart

yeah you need a permit to sell.

though i think some of the people that farm them for the restaurants have licences to sell off excess. the people on 'the site that will not be mentioned' are either uneducated on selling them or have the permit, be a good idea to question them though.

as for keeping them i think certain areas in the country you arn't allowed to gather them from because it is tapu (sarcred) other than that go nuts.

This has been covered several times.

You do not need a permit to gather them, bag limit 50 per day (good luck trying to find that many!)

You may not gather crayfish from the taupo or rotorua (?) areas. These belong to the local maori.

You do not need a permit to keep them in aquaria.

You do need a permit to release them back. Actually.... not sure if this covers crays, definitely the law for native fish, the idea is to prevent the spread of disease.

You may not move anything from one waterway to another, you can only put things back exactly where they came from.

And finally in answer to your question:

Yes you need a permit to farm them AND you need a permit to sell them, food or aquarium trade :)

Sorry, I don't know this unmentionable site.... could you please PM it to me if there is a reason it can't be posted here? I assume that is still legal...

ah ha, thanks, I found it. I put in a report that it is illegal to sell them, will see what Trademe does.

Hopefully I don't piss off someone from here, but hey, it is wrong, and they would definitely eat each other (and probably get shaken to pieces) if posted.

some are available in shops from farms. I believe Mahurangi Tech is selling some to the aquarium trade legitimately. I saw some big ones in a shop in Auckland for $25!!!! :o

Apparently a lot of the freshwater mussels in pet shops are not legitimate. They are also native. That is merely what I was told from a friend at Mahurangi, he read my book and suggested I add that footnote and presumably he knows what he is talking about.... would be good to know more though.

Yep, it has been removed. I am surprised how quick they were! I reported it at 8:45pm and they de-listed it at 11:10pm!

What surprises me is they managed to confirm what I had said.... It is so hard trying to find accurate information on that topic...

Here is their (generated) response:

Thanks for reporting the listing for: FRESHWATER CRAYFISH

The Trade Me Customer Support Team have reviewed the listing and has deemed that it is in breach of our terms and conditions. As a result the listing has been removed from the site.

Thank you for bringing this listing to our attention and making Trade Me a better place to buy and sell.

So what do you do if you've bought some for the aquarium market (ie: permitted ones) .. and don't want them anymore? Should they come with some cerfiticate of license when yo ubuy them to show they were obtained for tha aquarium trade and as such can legally be on-sold as such?

Can you keep any other fish with Koura ? I know where i can get some use to get heaps when i was a kid yummy as :lol:

Good question to ask Stella.

I kept koura with my goldfish growing up, the smaller the koura the better though. Large ones like gardening and sometimes can be a danger to goldfish.

All native fish i think could be kept with them without dramas.

Good point about not being allowed to release them yet no one would hear this when you buy one from a LFS.... Not quite sure what the deal is there.

Thing is people are not allowed to release anything. Problem is they do. Our waterways are crawling with exotic fish and plants that shouldn't be there and are often damaging native population thanks to aquarists..... (I do acknowledge my own blame in releasing some goldfish into a public lake many years ago). The pet shops SHOULD be making people more aware never to "free Willy" or any other pets.

As the legalities..... I am trying to figure it out properly and inform others because it is so hard to find. Some of the laws are so absurdly convoluted and absurd that barely anyone at DOC knows what they are. I am trying to find out how, but I imagine once I find the right person to ask for a permit to release a native fish back to the stream it came from they would laugh.... but I need to find out simply so I know. (to those who think I am nuts, I am writing a book on keeping native fish in aquariums... um yeah, still nuts)

Koura rock in aquaria, very active and interesting. A big one on its own would be cool, or a small one with other fish. 6cm is my personal cut-off point for how big a koura I would keep with fish, they get dangerous after that. And the fish shouldn't be too small with them.

If you are interested do a search of the forum archives, they have been discussed a lot. :)