cautionary tale

minchton

It pays to make absolutely sure who you are dealing with. We have put our house on the market and decided to get a commercial cleaner in to waterblast the brickwork outside. We asked did they use any chemicals when spraying and were assured that they did not use any. Day after they left I discovered that my pond of lionheads was full of floating dead fish.

I rung the company and asked again "did you use any chemicals" they replied no we dont use chemicals. Further questions to discover that we just use a household detergent to assure a good clean.

Detergent of course, even in small doses is fatal to most fish hence why I have lost a pond of fish.

Answer " read the small print" all care but no responsibility.

What makes it worse from my point of view is that this comes on top of some low life cleaning out a pond with 28 celestials from the front lawn pond so all in all it has been a rather expensive week of losses.

Hey JimR

I really appreciate what you are saying but this is the type of things that happen in fish keeping and it is something that we just have to live with.

As I say, while I really appreciate the thought I would not like to start a precedent which would see every person losing fish possibly expecting financial help.

I am not casting aspersions at anybody I am just trying to say thank you for the thought in the best way I can.

I'd have to admit I would not think of detergent as a chemical per say:oops:

because we use these on a daily basis many of us overlook them as being a "chemical" and dangerous to boot

under OSH rules you are supposed to have read the labels of any thing you use in the workplace and apply it accordingly

there is a case for the tradesman to answer, possibly paying compensation, and he can be found liable if that is a road you want to go down

OSH = Occupational Safety And Health

Everything is combinations of different chemicals... If you're going to use any additive in any situation, whatever you are adding is made from chemicals. It's very important to know what you are putting into things - food is a good example...

I wouldn't pay the bill or at least offset it by the cost of replacing the fish. You did your part prior to the work taking place and they stuffed up...

Your cleaners need to rectify the situation somehow. As everyone else has said.. you asked because you had a requirement that no chemicals be used. They definitely misled you and I'm sure these people will have dealings with other folks that have ponds. Take them to task and make them realise the error of their ways.. you certainly shouldn't have to pay the bill AND pay to replace the fish.. either or I'd say but not both. most respectable companies will have insurance to cover such mishaps anyway..

that sucks, IME never trust a tradesmen. We have the houses where we live water blasted each year - they tell us no chemicals (enviro friendly) but what ever they use stinks of chlorine and wipes out all our small garden plants.

I've water blasted houses prior to painting years ago.

A couple of things they might use & not think of as chemicals.. sugar soap.. probably however chlorine and are thinking it breaks down quickly with sunlight so therefore not counting it as chemical treatment.

Chlorine is used to prevent or remove mould.. whenever I've waterbasted houses its been just water nothing else but I suspect that could be one possible answer.

Another could be if the building has been previously sprayed with pyrethrum for spider control or if the neighbours house has been sprayed with overspray drifting into the pond.. from what I've heard it can be lethal to fish at a little as 1 part per billion.

Chlorine can also be something sprayed on afterward once again to control mould usually.

• 1 month later...

Detergent is also very efficient at killing aphids which can be hard to kill with some insecticides! It apparently also contains some carcinogens! :o We possibly don't tend to look at it as a chemical because it looks and smells nice especially when they put pictures of lemons and fruit on them (dangerous to young children) where as powdered laundry detergent looks like does look like one .... to me anyway!

Don't pay them until they compensate you for the fish.

• 1 month later...