Can fish dissapear and leave no trace?

IOU1

I'm a bit confused :oops: :roll:

Out in my new outdoor fishroom I have a tank that I put my adult albino bristlenose in amongst other fish until I could prepare the breeding tank. Anyway, I saw it in the afternoon and the next morning it had just dissapeared, but the other fish are all still there :-? There was no trace of it anywhere, the tank only had a small internal filter, a piece of driftwood to graze on, a small cave, a heater, and all the rest was water. I moved and checked everything but this bristlenose is nowhere to be seen :x

Surely if it died for some reason you would see it in the tank dead the next day and not missing completely. The tank has tight glass fittings on top and the other fish were much smaller than it and could not possibly have eaten it (small apistos that are feed every day).

What could have happened to it and has this happened to anyone else?

It is quite annoying as I've mostly seemed to only have bad luck after setting up this shed (been ripped off on some fish etc aswell :x ) and its costing a fortune :o

The only thing I can think of is that its been stolen... Hopefully not though because the only people to know about this shed and all the fish are people off here who have came to view and buy other things from me :o And why would this have been the only fish missing? Surely the thief would have taken other fish aswell?? Might be time to padlock the shed??

What are your guys thoughts? :x:x:x:x Don't want to give up just yet :)

I'm a bit confused :oops: :roll:

Out in my new outdoor fishroom I have a tank that I put my adult albino bristlenose in amongst other fish until I could prepare the breeding tank. Anyway, I saw it in the afternoon and the next morning it had just dissapeared, but the other fish are all still there :-? There was no trace of it anywhere, the tank only had a small internal filter, a piece of driftwood to graze on, a small cave, a heater, and all the rest was water. I moved and checked everything but this bristlenose is nowhere to be seen :x

Surely if it died for some reason you would see it in the tank dead the next day and not missing completely. The tank has tight glass fittings on top and the other fish were much smaller than it and could not possibly have eaten it (small apistos that are feed every day).

What could have happened to it and has this happened to anyone else?

It is quite annoying as I've mostly seemed to only have bad luck after setting up this shed (been ripped off on some fish etc aswell :x ) and its costing a fortune :o

The only thing I can think of is that its been stolen... Hopefully not though because the only people to know about this shed and all the fish are people off here who have came to view and buy other things from me :o And why would this have been the only fish missing? Surely the thief would have taken other fish aswell?? Might be time to padlock the shed??

What are your guys thoughts? :x:x:x:x Don't want to give up just yet :)

Does your tank have gravel? Some Plecs and BN will bury themselves completely if they feel threatened. You may well find that it has literally 'gone to ground'. Just wait until after dark, then sneak in and take a look, or VERY GENTLY run your fingers through the gravel if you really need to know.

Thanks guys for the thoughts :)

Have looked in the driftwood and it is not in there, have no big plecos in the tank- nothing except those small apistos I said about, and I didn't worry about putting gravel in the tank as it was only temporary so didn't think I needed it :roll:

Its just GONE :o

this is a bit wierd but I used to have a whiptail that would disappear from its tank. I would then find it in a different tank. I wasn't moving it, there was no-one else to move it. I think it may have had some kind of teleportation device secreted somewhere in the room. I never did figure out how it was doing it. Eventually it disappeared for good. True story (seriously!)

Weirdest thing, it has just reappeared again after about a week of being missing and me taking everything out and checking, saw it this afternoon :o:o

I must have missed something unless it is sucking itself out a corner and then coming in??? :o:o:o

I'm gobsmacked! :oops: You guys must think i'm screwed in the head or something but honestly it has dissapeared without a trace and now just turned up :roll: :roll: :oops: :o

What the heck is going on??????? :oops: :oops: :) Maybe its hiding away amongst some of the filterwool in the internal filter or something and I missed it??

Yay, good news for once :D:)

glad to see that I'm not the only one going mad :o. I had a case exactly like that - only bristlenoses in a tank - took everything out and could only count 5 (should have been 6), thought oh well that's life, then a few weeks later thought will rearrange the tank and low and behold I could now count 6.

have no idea what happened but glad that the "6" had turned up. :bounce: