another blunder

Cricketman

i dont know what the outcome is yet, im hoping that at lest they will remove teh fish from teh premises, after that i could tell them about people that could offer it a proper home, and i guess the cost would be a donation to the SPCA. would hate for them to have to humanely kill it, as it would be hell to get more into teh country if at all.

anyone know the status of Pacu in NZ?

id also like to add a little piece here, just to clarify myself and my actions.

im not against fish shops, im not against the chain "animates" as such, i am against the way that they contain and do business in fish. I want them to realise the error of thier ways, and if they need a SPCA warning or to have their certs removed for it then that is what i will try to accomplish.

i dont know what the outcome is yet, im hoping that at lest they will remove teh fish from teh premises, after that i could tell them about people that could offer it a proper home, and i guess the cost would be a donation to the SPCA. would hate for them to have to humanely kill it, as it would be hell to get more into teh country if at all.

anyone know the status of Pacu in NZ?

id also like to add a little piece here, just to clarify myself and my actions.

im not against fish shops, im not against the chain "animates" as such, i am against the way that they contain and do business in fish. I want them to realise the error of thier ways, and if they need a SPCA warning or to have their certs removed for it then that is what i will try to accomplish.

:hail:

I'm surprised the pacu hasn't freaked out and either jumped out or broken the tank! How big is 'large'?

I think the best result would be to put the fish down. Realistically, how many people in NZ can house a pacu for life? IMO they should NEVER be offered for sale to the general unsuspecting public, and should only be bought in to order for people who are serious about keeping them.

black%20pacu%20record.jpg

just to remind everyone of the potential size of what we're talking about... :wink:

havent heard anything from the SPCA and i been either working or in whakatane this week so havent been downtown to look and see if anything changed.

i was speaking to mark and a couple others and realisticaly i think that they at most would get a warning. though if they did take the fish again most likely that it would be put down.

the pacu was bout....20-30 cm from memory, in bout 15cm of water...

ill give them a call again tommorow as im off to work again now. no rest for the wicked....

Just wondering if you have had a response from the SPCA. I am thinking about ringing them in regards to a certain large chain Jewellery store in Westcity. They have a goldfish in a vase that would have about a litre of water and is under full halide lights in there display case at the front of the store. Poor fish was frantic as it must have been getting very hot under the lights all day in such a small amount of water. When i went into the store and spoke with the owner of the fish, they said that a marine biologist said that the fish was alright like that. Yeah Right!!!

you should do whati should have, gone in, taken a photo then take teh fish away yourself and if they stop you tell them that you have photographic proof of cruelty to the fish that would hold up in court. im a marine biologist and that certainly would be no good for any living organism....

when will people learn??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres my two cents.

The worst thing you could do to stop poor conditions is to "rescue" the fish. These big chains care about profits so all these "rescues" achieve, noble though they are, is a sale for the fish departmet, making it more profitable.

What will change things is to never spend any money there and tell others who keep pets your horror stories .... as you all have ..... thereby reducing their spending and reducing profitability. If they sell no fish they'll close the department 'cos it makes no money and no more fish will be kept ineptly.

Your stories have certainly made me think twice about getting fish from my local branch.