Has anyone seen this article on Stuff?????

je_suis_ketan

So to all who would disagree; Sorry, the fish are LEGAL IMPORTS under the name Danio/Brachydanio rerio

Because auckland university got them in does not make them legal as they can only go to a containment facility and you need permits.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All.

The STATEMENT I MADE WAS:

The species Danio / Brachydanio rerio is "NOT A PROHIBITED SPECIE", as has been alluded to by a few.

The fact that some of this specie has been "GENETICALLY ENGINEERED" that is a whole new situation.

The GE/GM variety of the specie has however, been in NZ for a number of years for scientific research.

But I bet that if this hadn't blown up then NO ONE in NZ would have known of any other GE/GM fish in NZ.

MAF woke me up on my day off because someone from this website who thinks they know everything told MAF that i have some of these fish.

Yeahp and MAF didnt find any in any of my tanks so clap clap to whoever you are

:evil: :evil:

I know wilson, fair enough if you KNOW that someone has them and you want to dob them.

But if your having a stab at guessing who MIGHT have them, get your facts straight.

2 People narked on me supposedly owning them, one said "Milet" And the other said my full name so i know exactly who said that.

Ah well atleast MAF can cross me off their list as not having any

This does show they are actively tracking people down though. IMO anyone who has them should probably go forward, otherwise if they find a hint you might have them (trademe feedback maybe?) they'll come banging on your door at 8am!

Oh, and on the third link down, Cichlid7 posted that he'd just bought 5! Wasn't he claiming not to have any? Lol. really guys, it's easily accessible information.

I remember someone asking about these pink/glo danios which were in animates (palmy north) a while back (maybe the post has bn deleted by the mods like most the glo danios posts a while ago) anyway does this mean every animates chain store had them in??

If so they would be all throughout the country so i doubt they will track em all down untill the surface again on tradme etc?

After having read this whole post, 2 things interest me.

Firstly the link to ERMA website, FANTASTIC. BUT... why would ViaLactia Biosciences (NZ) Limited import them for "Purpose: Identification of genes involved in milk production" ??

What do these fish have that could contribute to milk production?

Secondly, MAF destroyed them with concerns about GM/GE contamination getting into the food chain, or any food chain, yet if they're only destroying living danios, what happens to any other fish that have been in contact with the GM fish who could have eaten these fish while alive, or possibly eaten these fish after their death's (by causes other than MAF)?

Let's face it, not every fish imported will have survived, and those that haven't survived will have had their bodies picked at by more than just danios.

MAF like every agency has their flaws, and while this was a c**k for them, they are too late. Pandora's box has been opened, these fish will resurface again. People will secretly bred them for the simple fact that they're no longer allowed to.

** Also looking at the applications for import permits, a lot of these studies could be done on normal, every day fish. Great way to keep fish that are no one else can say they have aye, apply for a permit at work for "research" purposes! Yea right!

the link to ERMA website, FANTASTIC

Second that. And the milk production genes??? Hilarious!

However genetic research can't just be done on any fish.

The Zebra Danio is a genetic model. It's Genome is currently being sequenced. Its been used for ages in researching the expression of different genes especially in embryonic development. It's one of the most important research models after mice and rats.

Hi All

"shell", clarify for a simple person who has only been a hobbyist for 48 years now and whose only qualification is a B. Sc...

What is "SO SPECIAL" about the Zebra Danio, appart from the pretty stripes which is not apparent, available, or even contained in any other species of Brachydanio/ Danio.

To state that they are next in line to mice etc. is, I think a bit of Literary license.

Yes, I should have backed up what I said about Zebrafish being a genetic model. I realise also we are getting way off the topic, but here's some links if you're interested.

The zebrafish as a model organism has the following advantages:

• Its genetics and development have been studied intensively.
    It is a vertebrate, so its genome is similar to other vertebrate species including humans.
    It is inexpensive
    The embryo does not develop hidden inside the mother (as mammalian embryos)
    The embyo’s themselves are translucent, allowing visualisation of individual developing cells.
    There are stock centers/libraries around the world containing large numbers of some live mutants and frozen sperm of others.

One of many articles explaining the importance of Zebrafish (in pdf).

Websites of two of the stock centers: the Zebrafish international research centre and the Max Planck institute in Germany.