How often do you clean your filter sponge

je_suis_ketan

Hey, I'm just wondering how often people clean out their filters.

I was advised not to do it too often as it gets rid of the bacteria in the filter, but I find that my filter gets clogged up with a slimy brown gunk pretty quick (2 weeks) shortly after it does't really have the guts to suck water through because the pads are full said brown gunk (4 weeks).

BTW it is a Fluval 4 i think.

I usually rinse mine out each week when I do water changes. But I just give them a quick rinse in the bucket of old tank water to get rid of the worst of the gunge. That way most of the bacteria survive and you dont kill off the cycle.

Cheers

Ian

Don't change unless you absolutely have to, even when you do have to, it might be a good idea to cut a piece of the old sponge off and place it with the new sponge, this way you still have some of the bacteria.

Rinse your sponge in the water from your tank, this way you won't lose as much bacteria as when you rinse it in normal tap water.

Hope this helps.

Cool cheers guys. I have been washing the sponges in the tap until now, but when I do I don't do a gravel vac. The reasoning behind that was that if I'm flushing out the bacteria in the filter, I'm not sucking out the bacteria from the gravel.

But will do a rinse out in the tank water. Do you find that the gunk just makes a mess in the tank though?

The only time you clean your filter is when the return flow of water has lessened significantly.

My Jebo 819 got cleaned recently - for the first time in 12 months. My son is about to clean his and it has been running 14 months.