Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

java ferns attaching time

Featured Replies

Never taken any notice as I have always jammed them into a crack in the wood or anchored them with a stone so don't know at what point the roots took over but would imagine 2 - 3 months. I wonder if it makes a difference what you are attaching it too as well?

  • 2 weeks later...

I have recently been in Denmark (The homeland of Tropica) they grow Java Fern on driftwood with a suction cup attached to it, this allow placing the plants on the glass, which in turn makes a very good place for Discus to hide under

Hi there ej.................What an excellent idea and that would enable the covering of many things. I have a java fern that attached to a piece of wood within two weeks - I do use plant fertilizer in the tank with water changes.

  • 3 weeks later...

With nutrient-rich water, good Co2 and moderate lighting, I find java ferns take about a month to get attached. Instead of fishing or cotton thread, I find that those slightly stiff plastic cords used to tie phone/computer/wire cables together when you buy an appliance ideal for fixing the fern rhizomes onto driftwood.

Here's an article that might be useful.

Mine have always taken 1-2 months. I stick the java fern where I want it (on a rock or wood) and lay a couple of acid cleaned lead strips across it. As soon as the plant is stuck the lead is removed so the tank looks as natural as possible.

  • 2 years later...

I just used fishing sinkers again - I got a bag of tiny ones from The Warehouse and tied them on with fishing line. The leaves hide the sinkers and the plants stay where you want them until they attach.

Cheers

Jude

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.