Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

budak

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by budak

  1. budak replied to budak's topic in Welcome
    Hi Doc, Ya, I was there.... mainly to browse though.... you can see some nice pictures of the show here Thanks for your compliments..... and I hope to be able to contribute in the planted and some of the fishy forum sections here Goldie, I have always wanted a fish tank (as in lush, planted aquaria) as far as I can remember (nigh 30 years), and had only been able to restart the hobby (after childhood dabblings) a few years ago after a decade long dry period.
  2. budak replied to spent's topic in Cichlids
    I'm very glad to say that the flowerhorn phenomenon has largely petered out in Singapore (and it seems in Malaysia too, and hopefully Indonesia and Thailand etc... as well)...... when you have a species that breeds like rabbits but "commands" arowana/show discus prices, you are going to get a spectacular crash (dozens of wannabe LFS specialising in flowerhorns in Singapore have gone kaput, and good riddance!)..... for myself, the aesthetics and ethics aside, I had been campaigning locally (on Singapore forums, newspaper letters and intercepting public talks) on the hideous environmental impact of released flowerhorns in local waters and am only too glad to see the end of this monstrosity (the fad as well as the fish).
  3. budak posted a topic in Killies
    I am not a killie breeder myself, but thought some here might be interested in this website and community of international killie breeders and egg exchangers (although I am not sure if it's possible to mail eggs over to NZ?).
  4. With nutrient-rich water, good Co2 and moderate lighting, I find java ferns take about a month to get attached. Instead of fishing or cotton thread, I find that those slightly stiff plastic cords used to tie phone/computer/wire cables together when you buy an appliance ideal for fixing the fern rhizomes onto driftwood. Here's an article that might be useful.
  5. budak replied to budak's topic in Welcome
    can i be diplomatic by saying I have friends from both North Island and South Island?? and thanks for the link, Caryl. will plough through it later tonight.
  6. budak replied to budak's topic in Welcome
    My personal aquatic interests are planted aquaria and Southeast Asian aqualife - you can view my haphazard gallery here (requires registration, but Imagestation is one of the best free online galleries). I have only been to NZ once (3 or 4 years ago to North Island on a week long working trip), but have fond memories of the country, the people and esp. the pristine nature. One question I have is: does anyone keep (is it legal anyway?) those strange fishes known as galaxiids? I have always found this group rather fascinating.
  7. budak posted a topic in Welcome
    Hello! I came across this website and forum while googling for some Latin plant names (you have a nice plant/fish database!), and was quite pleasantly surprised to see a thriving NZ aquaria scene. Cheers!
  8. budak replied to phyrestaata's topic in Freshwater
    What I have read (in some natural history book) is that these fish actually feed on the "aufwuchs" (little micro-organisms, plankton, insect larvae) that hide in streambed algae growth, so they probably need more protein-rich food than most people suppose.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.