January 22, 200422 yr comment_13132 hi all how long did it take for ur java fern's to 'attach' themselves? Thanks Report
January 22, 200422 yr comment_13143 Never taken any notice as I have always jammed them into a crack in the wood or anchored them with a stone so don't know at what point the roots took over but would imagine 2 - 3 months. I wonder if it makes a difference what you are attaching it too as well? Report
January 23, 200422 yr comment_13174 I wonder if it makes a difference what you are attaching it too as well? Sounds like a thesis in that Report
January 31, 200422 yr comment_13479 I have recently been in Denmark (The homeland of Tropica) they grow Java Fern on driftwood with a suction cup attached to it, this allow placing the plants on the glass, which in turn makes a very good place for Discus to hide under Report
January 31, 200422 yr comment_13482 Hi there ej.................What an excellent idea and that would enable the covering of many things. I have a java fern that attached to a piece of wood within two weeks - I do use plant fertilizer in the tank with water changes. Report
January 31, 200422 yr Author comment_13484 Thats a great idea ej! I even hav lots of left over suction caps Thanks Report
February 16, 200422 yr comment_14134 With nutrient-rich water, good Co2 and moderate lighting, I find java ferns take about a month to get attached. Instead of fishing or cotton thread, I find that those slightly stiff plastic cords used to tie phone/computer/wire cables together when you buy an appliance ideal for fixing the fern rhizomes onto driftwood. Here's an article that might be useful. Report
February 16, 200422 yr comment_14136 Mine have always taken 1-2 months. I stick the java fern where I want it (on a rock or wood) and lay a couple of acid cleaned lead strips across it. As soon as the plant is stuck the lead is removed so the tank looks as natural as possible. Report
September 14, 200620 yr comment_121027 where did you get your suction caps i cant seem to find them! Report
September 14, 200620 yr comment_121038 Local fish store I didn't know that either when I first joined :oops: Report
September 14, 200620 yr comment_121072 I have never tried it but I have heard of people using a little RTV on the rhizone to attatch to driftwood. Report
September 18, 200620 yr comment_121578 what about a pin through the rhizone would that hurt the plant you think ?? Report
September 18, 200620 yr comment_121592 I just used fishing sinkers again - I got a bag of tiny ones from The Warehouse and tied them on with fishing line. The leaves hide the sinkers and the plants stay where you want them until they attach. Cheers Jude Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.