Everything posted by the-obstacle
-
Will copper kill native shrimp?
Final count I have 4 cardinals and 1 shrimp still alive. Plenty of dead snails so the goal was achieved. Lesson learnt. :tears:
-
Cardinal worms?
If you use prazi just treat them in their tank. Meth Blue shouldn't do much for treating worms but if you do use it be aware that it will stain the silicone in the tank. I believe this is why people say to use meth blue in separate tanks. I have used it in my display tanks and I'm the only one that can tell - the silicone is only slightly changed so don't let it worry you if you only have the one tank.
-
L140 needs wood in it's diet?
Awesome, that's all I needed to know. :thup:
-
L140 needs wood in it's diet?
That was what I was thinking. :thup: I miss my old one. Might have to pop into the LFS tomorrow.
-
how did my fish die?
how often are you changing water and how much? I'm assuming ammonia is at 0? Any recent (within the last 4 weeks) additions (plants or fish) to the tank?
-
Round 2 of Obstacle's big tank
Yeah, I thought about that but it was too much work and I ended up with lots of shards instead of pebble sized things. I'm happy with it. The heckelii are going in this evening
-
L140 needs wood in it's diet?
Oh I think they're going into the lounge tank which has plenty of wood. I was just wondering if I could get away with 1 in the big tank. I'm thinking I'll go for something a bit flasher for the big tank though.
-
Round 2 of Obstacle's big tank
Now with plants and smaller rocks. Thinking I'll avoid adding driftwood to this as I can't seem to picture the perfect piece and where to put it.
-
L140 needs wood in it's diet?
Just so I'm sure - can anybody tell me for sure that L140s need wood in their diet? I'm just considering my options of housing them.
-
The What's Up? thread.
why would you cut your hair?
-
The What's Up? thread.
That's ok, I didn't go anyway. I've transferred a couple of plants and finished most of the rock work so will fill and heat over the weekend so I can get the fish in there early next week.
-
over filtering
Go for it. It's (nearly) impossible to over filter a tank and the more bio media in the system the better. I didn't read the full ad but you usually have to buy a pump to go with those pond filters so you could just choose a slower pump for the smaller amount of water. Although most ponds are filtered a lot less than aquaria. In short - it won't hurt.
-
My nano build
I'm running a 50L without a skimmer and I wish I had one. Go for the BM over the ViaAqua - based on reviews they're much better and the VA ones have issues with build quality.
-
The What's Up? thread.
Oh! I didn't realise it was a compass needle That'd explain it.
-
The What's Up? thread.
I thought you were in NZ? Where in Australia or Singapore would you fly DOWN to? I assume that North is up though...
-
My 122L tropical Marine
While I don't want to suggest that HFF got it wrong, and your fish will survive at 30% per month, you're already having issues that more frequent water changes can fix so planning to do monthly water changes is just asking for more trouble. In a nano the chances of things getting out of hand quickly are much more likely and weekly water changes will reduce the chances of things getting out of hand and there still being 3 weeks before the next water change to reset the system. I don't know anybody with a salt water tank of any size that does monthly water changes and I think you're setting yourself up for failure if you plan to.
-
Gamers
Please pass on my thanks. it's an awesome product.
-
My 122L tropical Marine
Is the nano going to be plumbed into your sump? if you're not skimming the nano you'll need to do about 30% per week depending on stock and feeding levels.
-
Gamers
Good man. You'll want to visit http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ for streaming video and music to your ps3 from the PC. My PSN name is the same as on here if you want to add me. Have a go on the BattleField 3 Beta if you haven't yet.
-
The What's Up? thread.
You're doing it wrong.
-
The What's Up? thread.
I dosed the tank with some ferts with copper sulphate in it to thin out the numbers of snails. Turns out I overdosed it and killed 2 lemon tetra, 3 black neon tetra, 3 cardinals and 3 native shrimp. I've got 3 cardinals and 1 shrimp left. The lounge tank - long thin one with plants. It had been my storage tank for stray tetra since the cacatouides pair died. Thanks for the tip, I'll go for a drive to Cornwall Park on Friday.
-
The What's Up? thread.
Concert was awesome. Tank full of dead fish on return home was not.
-
frog tank now empty- ideas of what to do with it
foot spa?
-
Will copper kill native shrimp?
oops. :facepalm: Turns out I put enough in there to kill the black line and lemon tetra too. The only survivors are the cardinals who aren't too happy with me but are at least breathing. I've spotted 1 shrimp still moving around the tank too so fingers crossed a few of the others survived too. I've just done a 70% water change and am on the second 70% change now. I don't have any carbon but if the cardinals don't get their colour back by the morning I'll be heading to the LFS. I feel like such an idiot. At least I know what caused it though I guess... :edit: found a big bag of carbon that hadn't been used so threw that in the tank with the water changes. The 3 remaining cardinals that I can see have all their colour back but are hanging out on the bottom. Off to bed. Will check on them all in the morning and do a body count.
-
Will copper kill native shrimp?
It's a bit late to ask as I've just added some of p44's special ferts to my display tank to thin out the numbers of snails in there and I realised afterwards that there are 4 native shrimp in there that I had forgotten about. They're going mental! Have I killed them or are they just a bit upset by the additives? I guess I'll know the answer in the morning but wanted to ask here just in case.