May 30, 200620 yr comment_103375 so we all get evaporation, some more than others, i loose around 2 litres a day, i have heard of up to 10 litres a day :-? due to my work my house stays shut up all day and in winter its too cold to open some windows to let out the moisture when i get home, i use a dehumidfyer some of the time, and now it will probably stay on 24/7 during winter. :-? just wundering what people use to remove the moisture from there homes caused by the evaporation from our reef tanks. anyone got a great method they use that they can recommend for the rest of us? just thort it might be an interesting topic that i havnt seen on here. :bounce: Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103376 I have just completed completely enclosing my tank and have a vent outside with an extractor fan. Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103382 How bout a great be slab of metal for the mosture to condense on and drip back into your tank :lol: :lol: :lol: Report
May 30, 200620 yr Author comment_103383 sounds like youve been hard at work suphew, got any pics for us, might be able to copy your ideas. good plan kp, very clever! :lol: some what unpractical i would imagine but clever non the less. maybe some polished stainless, would help as a refelector as well! Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103387 my sump is covered and i lose 4.5lts a day from display. just put a DVS in...blinkin brilliant...solves all condensation and evaporation, unexpected bonus tho, it also managed to quiet a painfull whine i used to get in my left ear every morning in winter :lol: Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103390 heat pump with heater for the winter, air con for the summer and a continous dehumidefyer works awsome (and i loose between 6 and 13 liter per day depending on time of year). DVS works great too, but even with the filter it has still pumps quite a bit of dust from your roof into the house. but very cheap to run. Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103401 If you can afford the power bill, evaporation (therefore condensation) is almost non existent if your room temp is within 5deg of water temp. Unfortunately, my numbers havn't come up on lotto yet; so sweaty windows on cold Dunedin mornings is still the status quo. I'll have to check out more about DVS mentioned before. Do they cost much? Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103404 I cut my evaporation down something like 50% by putting the glass lids back on my tank over winter. Goes from about 5-7 liters a day to 2-3 Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103412 I have big windows and since I am home all day I use them, I run a dehumidefyer in the hall out side the bathroom. Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103413 It doesn't cost much to get the airforce to dry it out but hang on I didn't invite them in for coffee Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103416 Are you hiding anyone who is not welcome in this country? :lol: :lol: Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103424 I have a vent above my tank that goes outside, tank is enclosed in the wall(or will be soon lol) Report
May 30, 200620 yr comment_103441 :lol: Fay, I've seen that technique used to dry out cricket pitches, but never to dehumidify a house! Now I know who won the $17.5 mill the other day! Report
May 31, 200620 yr comment_103466 HRV, awsome, house is dry as a bone, can even dry washing inside if i have to. Put a dehumidifier on for a few hours and dont get any moisture, sits dormant in the garage now. Heaps of evaporation though, have to keep the plants watered heaps as well. Report
May 31, 200620 yr comment_103474 Ha, tried that one, the wife wont let me, apparently we might need again some time :roll: , even though i told her i would buy her a nice RODI unit to look at :lol: Report
May 31, 200620 yr comment_103486 dehumidifer on 60% hummity (bad bad spelling) Seems to work great. Report
May 31, 200620 yr comment_103489 I have not had my aquarium running that long maybe six months or so. But have had the glass lids on from day one. Evaporation is very little maybe 5ltrs a week. Not sure what effect the lid has on blocking light but what few corals i have seem to be doing well. Actually the fresh water tank i have never needs topping up only water changes. Still i get lots of condensation on the windows though especially when running the gas heating. Report
May 31, 200620 yr comment_103490 My flat is so damp I think the equilibrium would actually end up putting water back into the tank when its set up. Mould growing on clothes and mushrooms spouting out the floor is generally a sign that its a bit too humid. :lol: Since I'm into fungi its actually pretty interesting! Report
May 31, 200620 yr comment_103495 mushrooms spouting out the floor Something to add to the 2 minute noodles lol, gota love being a student Report
May 31, 200620 yr Author comment_103501 this might seem like a stupid question but what is HRV? :oops: i havent come accross that term before. :lol: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.