wild A. hongsloi spawn

antwan

hooray, after getting four wild caught apistogramma hongsloi's off nz discus, i was lucky enough to discover i had 1 male and 3 females. Anyway, after performing the ritual water changes i saw these two hopping on the good foot and doing the bad thing. Quite a decent size spawn compared to what my cockatoo gives me..anyway, here's a few shabby pics (they spawned in the pot furthest away from the front).

P4260015.jpg

in between runs

P4260014.jpg

there she is laying

P4260019.jpg

her laying again, that's the best pic i can get of the male unfortunately.

will keep you updated, it will be interesting to see how these guys parenting skills compare to the domestic ones we get usually.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha thanks guys....soon after posting i went back in my room to check on them...and found the male cockatoo having a bit of a nibble...he's now in the naughty jar until i can find a better home for him. Also, must be my luckiest day with fish ever, i noticed my rams have a new batch of wigglers, and my wild caught agassizii flamengo pair are going at it too in the main tank :D I NEED MORE TANKS! :lol:

hello everyone i am new to this site and still trying to figure out how everything works.

good on ya ant it always amazes me when wild caught fish breed in captivity. that's when u know u done a good job at setting ur tank up.

it sound like ur goin to be busy with all the new critters, what sort of rams are u breeding?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks Keri, i walked in on the pair of agassizii going at it this afternoon too which was a nice surprise. here's just a few pics:

male bitaeniata:

P5160001.jpg

female agassizii with eggs:

P5160023.jpg

male agassizii:

P5160016.jpg

i was quite surprised how clear the last pic was as it was taken from my bed on the other side of the room zoomed right in :lol: if i get too close he just swims away.

Good stuff ant :D

Im quite a fan of the apistos, and wouldnt mind setting up a tank of them. is it possible to house say cockatoos and aggazziis in the same tank, would they interbreed or anything? how many of each type do u need to keep together so theyre happy?

They wont interbreed as they are not the same species, you would need quite a large tank for these guys, as the males really need 2-3 females each because they establish a harem. Each female keeps her own territory which can sometimes be one square foot or more, then each male has a larger territory (covers the females territories), which can be 2 square feet (if i've remembered correctly). You would be able to house them in a really densely planted 3 foot, with lots of caves, however obviously the bigger the better (4 foot or larger would be preferable). Just one male of each is all you need, any more and you're going to find yourself with dead males, until the dominant one remains.

ok thanks. i have a 220L 3ft and 220L 4ft. the 4ft is narrow maybe about 40cm wide which is why its the same literage as the 3ft. i was planning on putting them in the 3ft, which is indeed densely planted. I have already got 2 apistos, ive been told they are the macmasteri pisto. they are in a planted 20L holding tank, until i transfer them to the 3ft. i was planning on transferring all the fish at the same time?

how many of each type are you going to add? This technique is better than adding one species at a time, as the ones already in there will think of it as their territory and would really harass the newcomers, possibly even kill them. What sex are the macmasteri?

I have no idea what sex they are. im not even 100% if they are even macmasteri, they seem quite young looking.

would it be possible to get u to come over one time to get ur opinion on them?

i was thinking of a harem of cocktoos as well.

would they be ok with a ram or two? and a pair of kribs?

im sure i could pop in one time, ummm so, you want to have; agassizii, cockatoos, kribs, rams and macmasteri??? that's simply too many dwarf cichlids for your tanks unfortunately, which means you're just going to have to buy more...damn, what a shame :wink: