Anti-bacterial remedies for cyanobacteria (blue-green algae)

Pinsara

Anyone know where to source some anti-bacterial remedies to control cyanobacteria infections (blue-green algae)?

A thin membrane of algae is slowing spreading and covering my carpet plants.

I've already tried all the home remedies (water changes, reduced lighting, algicide, etc) but with no success.

If anyone know of a good source of anti-bacterial medicine, pl point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the delay Pinsara but I forgot to look the information up.

Erythromycin is a macrolide for infections and infestations. This is a class of antibiotics characterised by molecules made up of large-ring lactones

Most common is probably E-Mycin which is erythromycin ethyl succinate.

Amoxycillin is most commonly prescribed as Augmentin (Amoxycillin is a generic name, Augmentin is a brand name,one of several. Different companies produce different brand names for the same thing). This is amoxycillin and clavulanic acid. It is a penicillin. Also for infections and infestations.

Apo-Amoxi, Ibiamox and Ospamox are all just amoxycillin.

Synermox and Augmentin are both amoxycillin and clavulanic acid.

Clavulanic acid is aluminium hydroxide and used to reduce acidity in the stomach (ie. it helps the medicine go down :wink: )

I guess both would work but can't guarantee that. I have only ever tried erythromycin which worked well.

Feelers or Reef

Can you use any brand of vodka? Which have worked for you?

The rate is 5 ml / 100 litres - Is it a once off dose or more? How often do you need to dose it.

How long do you reckon it takes to clear the cyano?

It's certainly easier to get hold of than pills :hail:

I would have thought the drugs would also kill the bacteria in the filter but I seem to remember an article somewhere refuting this. Something to do with them being different sort of bacteria so not affected. Whatever, I certainly had no trouble with mini cycles or spikes in my tank during, or after, treatment.

Thanks very much Caryl.

Very informative.

Now what dosage should I apply?

250mg caps how many and how often?

I am not sure about the vodka suggestion. Would it not be toxic to plants since alcohol is a poison which kills living tissue?

Tanksman, that's per day.

Basicially vodka is an empty carbon source - like adding sugar(but without the problems that sugar causes). This provides engery for the bacterial population, so they divide and multiply, but still have the same amount No3/Po4 to spread among the increasing population. The increased populations will outcompete the cyano/algae for nutrients. In a saltwater tank there is an even bigger benefit, as the bacteria/nutrients get skimmed out.

Its actually a popular method, and it has been used in europe for ages apparently. As reef said in a thread about the vodka method, no-one can make any money off it so it's not pushed like many other things.

The 5ml/100L is equal to 0.00005ml/L, a very small amount, and safe.

5mL is a teaspoon I think?

You can see how it goes, and slowly bring it up to 20ml / 100L over a week. It is still an incredibly small amount, but you are feeding the bacteria - which have quite small appetites :D

It could be worth one sixth of a shot! (terrible I know) :lol:

I checked the dose I used and it was defiantly 2.5mg/l followed by a repeat dose 2 days later.

Mine were in tablet form so I had to grind it up to a powder and dissolve it in luke warm water before putting it in the tank.

I had no problems with my bio/filter. But it would pay to keep an eye on the ammonia levels for a while.

Any spikes could also be caused by the extra load put on the filter dealing with the dead cryno not the erythromycin.

Vodka should be just pure ethanol (well with water). Unless you use the really cheap crappy stuff, which might have sugar (it will say this on the bottle though).

The directions are for 40% ethanol /vodka, so adjust accordingly depending on what you get.

If you have the dreaded "Blue/Green" algae "cyanobacter" you have problem, and the cause has to be remedied BEFORE the cure is administered.

Overfeeding, too much detritus on the tank floor, too much sun light, are all good aggravators to encourage the dreaded Blue/Green.

As the Name implies it is a bacteria, and is Very Successfully treated with erethromycin in a couple of days. In even ends up looking like it's gone; but short of redosing after three days, IT WILL COME BACK.

Your local pharmacist would probably be more than willing to let you have a couple of capsules....400mg, but make him aware that you want the capsules that you can pull apart.

Pull ONE capsule apart and add it to 1/2 Litre of waterand sitr to dissolve then add it to a tank of up to 100Litres.

TURN OFF ALL FILTRATION, but you can use an airstone or your hand to stir it through the tank. Leave it for three days and then redose exactly the same. At the end of the second dosing you can turn the filters back on again.

Good Luck.

TURN OFF ALL FILTRATION, but you can use an airstone or your hand to stir it through the tank. Leave it for three days and then redose exactly the same. At the end of the second dosing you can turn the filters back on again.

Is that 6 days with your filter turned off? - it's gunna be dead then isn't it? May as well take any carbon out and leave it going.

It does not necessarily come back. I got mine after adding some infected plants to the tank. Nothing I did worked until using erythromycin. That worked well and, as you will have noticed at the meeting since you were sitting next to the tank, it has not returned. It was dosed over 12 months ago.

My pills were tablets, not capsules, and dissolved slowly in a small amount of water. I did not turn the filters off either.

Drugs work in ways that the uninitiated dont know about or understand.

They will work against some bacteria or viruses but not others in the same area.

Carbon only "Strips" the smell and heavy ions from the water in a tank. It will not neccesarily strip out a drug.

I suggest to people that when buying new plant that they quarantine it for a few days in a bath containing a small dose of "FORMALIN" this seems to work well by killing any snails that are present and also any obnoxious algaes that would be introduced to your tanks.

That is "MY METHOD" and it works for me so I'll keep using it.

You may choose to try it as well, it's up to you.

From the conversation, I gathered that the Blue/Green appeared by itself.

That is caused by a problem within the tank, not external forces.

The cause of the problem must be remedied before any success at elliminating the bacteria will be effective.