Anti-bacterial remedies for cyanobacteria (blue-green algae)

Pinsara

Do you mean the bacteria in the filter or the dreaded Cyanobacter?

Cyanobactor spores are water borne and are present all the time.

It is just that Tanks are a good breeding ground for the bacteria to break out of their spores and multiply feeding on whatever is in the tank that suits them.

You CANT ELIMINATE CYANOBACTER.... You can only control it by maintaining a healthy tank.

Good on ya neill :hail:

Me too I started sunday, I should say my freind and I. Unfortunately this tank is not at my house so I cannot keep as close an eye on it as I would like which is possibly how it got hold in the first place. I still see it every few days and my freind is getting keener by the day. It is harsh this cyanobacter stuff. It is the only explanation I have that the Kribs in there have not spawned in 4 months unless they are getting too old.

First of all I got serious and "peeled" off as much of the horrid green gunge as I could. I am going to do this a few more times while the vodka is "treating things" :) Fins crossed

How are you getting along Pinsara.

:)

Alan how can you get the 97% stuff?? Do you have a permit for it?

I distill my own alcohol, but it's so much cheaper buying it straight. Its silly, the law allows me to make as much 95% alcohol as I want, - I just cant buy it. :x

Glad to hear everyone's giving the vodka a jam, I'm gonna use it while cycling my tank. (although its not really recommended for that). I'm also gonna cycle at 32C.

Keep us updated. Have you noticed any thing different?

Alan - are plants able to use the alcohol effectivly? I'm taking plant biotechnology at the moment so I'll ask my lecturer about it. We use a 3% sucrose solution to clone plants for tissue culture, I think this is about the optimal level, but obviously this cant be done in a tank.

I think that alcohol will go straight through the membrane of the plant - so I spose it will work. You could also use vinegar.

I know you cant add sugar but what is the reason for it? Does that mean you cant use other sugars like glucose or lactose? Maybe even citric acid?

At these such low concentrations I cant imagine it doing anything.

Are you not able to tell me about sourcing the alcohol(without my impending death)?

When it comes off my still it's at 92% - 95% , but to tell the truth its a lot of work and is more expensive - so I'd rather be lazy.

I believe I looked into buying it, I think a permit from maf or something was needed, aka a legitimate use for it. Which I now have. Not that drinking it shouldnt be a legitimate use :x

He can but if he sold it to you he would have to kill you ( if it didn't).

I have a generous friend with a very good still. Most people only get about 85% Yours is going well so the extra couple of % wouldn't be worth the mucking about. You can also strip the extra water with CaO and filtering but not worth the fuss if you only intend self medication.

Oh ok you were getting it distilled too. Yeah, its good stuff,

eurorange.jpg

Its pretty much the one on the left - the euro 50L.

It's pretty strong straight! :lol: Fire water.

That brownish tint is probably bacterial growth and gunk ect. I think water changes are probably more beneficial in freshwater when using vodka, because in sw tanks lots of the new gunk that is created just gets skimmed out.

Good on ya neill :hail:

Me too I started sunday, I should say my freind and I. Unfortunately this tank is not at my house so I cannot keep as close an eye on it as I would like which is possibly how it got hold in the first place. I still see it every few days and my freind is getting keener by the day. It is harsh this cyanobacter stuff. It is the only explanation I have that the Kribs in there have not spawned in 4 months unless they are getting too old.

First of all I got serious and "peeled" off as much of the horrid green gunge as I could. I am going to do this a few more times while the vodka is "treating things" :) Fins crossed

How are you getting along Pinsara.

:)

The amoxillin seemed to work when I last checked. The cyano has started to get into pieces and turning brown. Unfortunately I've been sent out of Welly on work and I dont know if it has fully eliminated my problem. If not I will get started on the vodka treatment when I get back.

• 2 months later...

Update - Gave up on the vodka.

Cyano looks to be sorted now the horrid green snot. It turned out to be lack of lighting - 15 w on 100 litres - now 60w - Cyano melting into oblivion. I should have realised this was the cause earlier. I was deceived by the idea that only brown algae is an indicator of poor light. Only took 10 months of toiling in the slime to work that out. Least there was vodka I suppose :roll:

• 3 weeks later...