Landscapers start on my new pond tomorrow!

Caryl

When I got up this morning at 8.30am it was already 17C. The fish are cruising at the surface a lot so I figured it was time to start feeding them.

The green is the film on the bottom. The water is crystal clear. I am sure it will green up over summer though.

My dad repotted lilies for me yesterday so they were added. 8 pots of them ought to cover the water surface pretty well!

firstfeed.jpg

firstfeeding.jpg

Littlest fish in the pic would be 4cm (not inc tail) and the biggest is about 10cm.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very impressive pond! Just needs a little something extra hum let me see ahh! Yes I have it, a little Gnome with a rod like they have on the tv advert hehehe. Sorry Caryl could not resist, but it really is a gorgeous pond congrats are in order.

• 1 month later...

OK, here's an update of the pond. Remember the start?

Beforepondfromtree.jpg

Then April...

17pondfromtreeApril29.jpg

and now October...

pondfromundertreeOct06.jpg

The water itself is actually clear but with no plants for competition, the algae growing on the bottom shows up clearly. The water lilies are just starting to throw up new leaves and I have planted pots of Japanese irises around the edge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update for December. We went to Christchurch last weekend and bought 4 plants for the pond. All are growing well and two have flowered since. The water is going very green as the sun gets stronger and the plants are still so small so little surface cover. Still waiting for Grant to fix the hose so we can turn on the waterfall (pump is too powerful and noisy as the water hits the inside of the plastic filter so hard it drums loudly!)

Ranunculus lingua aka water buttercup

Ranunculuslinguawaterbuttercup.jpg

and here is its flower...

Ranunculusflower.jpg

This is Myriophyllum robustum

Myriophyllumrobustum.jpg

Lysimachia nummularia aurea aka golden moneywort

Lysimachianummulariaaurea.jpg

and last, but not least, Gratiola sexdentata. Note the tiny wee blue flowers

Gratiolasexdentata.jpg

Awesome pond. :hail::hail::hail:

I'm very jealous. I had to settle for a barrel but I have a very similar selection of plants. I'm about to try propagting my gratiola sexdentata as it's put out heaps or roots from each plant stem after about 6 weeks in the water. Mine isn't flowering though! Something to look forward to!

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

On the first day of Christmas (well, Christmas Day actually) my brother gave to me...

DavidsChristmaspresent.jpg

a birdbath for my new shrubbery (had to rhyme didn't it?)

On that same day of Christmas Grant finally did for me...

waterfallconnectedDec06.jpg

the plumbing on the waterfallery (to keep the rhyme going)

So while I was admiring the waterfall and birdbath I took a photo of some of the fry we caught from the big pond and put in the small pond. They are growing happily...

fryinroundpondDec06.jpg

The birdbath has attracted a visitor already :lol:

duckinbirdbath.jpg

• 3 months later...

wow, just found this thread and spent the better part of the morning reading through it with eyes as big as the birdbath!!

Loving this progress thread, great work Caryl (i mean landscapers!!!!), what an awesome project!!!

I am now inspired and have one more reason to get that rural block of home sweet home i have my eye out for....

The plants in the pond haven't actually grown much. Hopefully they will take off next spring. The plants around the pond have been growing well and the climbers are making their way up the trellis.

The water has gone quite green but I haven't done anything about that yet as I want to see what happens to it over winter. If it doesn't clear I will try barley straw in it next spring.

The fish have survived and are often seen basking in the sun. There are plenty of fry too.

The waterfall has still got a leak and we are waiting for the landscapers to come and fix it. They thought they had but it still has a problem, although not as bad as before so whatever they did they are on the right track. We only just tried it recently, so have just contacted them. I don't want you to think we have been waiting all this time for them to come.

pondApril07.jpg

The water has gone quite green but I haven't done anything about that yet as I want to see what happens to it over winter. If it doesn't clear I will try barley straw in it next spring.

Barley straw doesnt work that well! i know of ppl that have small ponds and have tryed barley straw, didnt make any difference..