Landscapers start on my new pond tomorrow!

Caryl

Sunday evening here as I type this. It has been raining steadily so pond has partially filled on its onw. Good news is - the bottom doesn't leak! :lol: :bounce:

Will let you know when they refill it.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the refilled the pond and the level dropped 1cm overnight. I have suggested they leave it a week to see how far it goes this time but they are thinking of lining the whole thing with a butyl liner.

• 2 weeks later...

OK checked the level this morning after pond has been left for a week. The rain makes it difficult to gauge but we are pretty sure the level is only dropping 6cm. Grant wonders about putting a ballcock under the deck so it keeps the level up that way. What do you think? Easier than lining it and a regular fresh water addition to the pond. We do not pay for water consumption here.

I don't know what your water supply is like there, but in most areas they urge people to conserve water because each person uses so many litres per day and they say it cannot be sustained. Something to consider.

edit: rainwater would give them all the fresh they need. IMO the underlying problem should be fixed.

In a closed system like a non leaking pond rainwater will not add any freshwater, not in the sense of a water change. It'll just be topping up the evaporation. Nothing will actually be removed.

Blenheim is pretty dry, so I don't like the idea of continuously replacing the leackage unless it's a relatively small amount. I'd be inclined to say, "It's not leaking down 6cm! It's just been overfilled!"

That is right MA... all the noise was at conference.

I for one can vouch that Caryl made a lot of noise and so did Amazonian..

... then again it was noisey wherever you went.

:lol: :bounce: :lol: :bounce: