New Tank project

kevan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lights looking at tank last night now its cleared I feel I need more light but can't decide I have old 250 but would not look good over tank. Would 3 150 w lights do or leave 2 x 150 and get T8 floro as well ?

• 1 month later...

I'm going to add 4 T5s when I can aford it 2 at back (1 blue 1 white tube ) and same at front . Just added two old blue floro tubes in meantime .

IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/kbygate/DSCF5020.jpg

My blue acro was brown after being in hoding tank but comeing back to blue.

DSCF5015.jpg

and anemone has grow split into three before I pulled old tank down gave one away and the two are growing.

61255fb9.jpg

kevan - what you have suggested (2 x T5's at front, 2 x T5's at back) in conjunction with your current halides on that size tank will make a big difference. four 54W x T8's is another 216W's. its like adding another 150W'er (if you're including blue's too, they are more for aesthetic's than "choice of light" for corals) however you'll get better coverage of light. halides are the definate power house for sps, however T5's kick arse too. i underestimated them til i hooked them up. i have a 'tan' coloured sps in my tank that is a bit bigger than the size of my fist, the side that is near the T5 is starting to get really nice green tips, the side thats furtherest away from the T5 is still brown.

• 2 months later...

DSCF5196.jpg

Every thing is going well having a few problems with temp fluctuations but adding another 150 w heater to exiting 450 w and putting them more in direct flow has made it better (22c - 24c) but could do with some insulation especially on return pipe to tank.

Could still do with more light but power bill getting high so will have to make do.

• 1 month later...