killies

Lucid

Hey all,

Just wondering what was available in the way of killies in the wellington area, would like to expand on our starting point of Gold Lineatus.

Would take donations, but also willing to pay a reasonable price for them.

And yes Alan, I will look into the NZKA, ONCE I have a few more, need to get some space sorted for them.

So really just seeing who has what, and which ones they would be willing to part with some of.

B

• 1 month later...

I was wondering are Killies ok with Guppies?

When I get my other tanks set up I will have one tank which will be almost like a community tank but it will be more of the guppies that I like. I have never seen Killies (well I don't think I have) at the pet store down here and it would be nice to maybe breed some and bring some new fishies to the people of southland. I like the look of them as they have so many different colours on their bodies (which is what I liked about the guppies).

How do you breed these guys and what is the best way to raise the fry?

Cheers

in other words they will eat my guppies? or just the guppy fry? My tank is pretty heavly planted at the moment and I normaly put the female into a breeding trap to have her fry and the try is then put into the fry tank.

I don't want to add them if they will eat my fish lol but if they would be totaly fine then I would like to consider adding them to my soon to be breeding setup :D

cheers

Im still looking for 1 or 2 FEMALE golden wonders. Can anyone help? My 2 males are getting rather close to each other!!!

Just an update. I now have 8 tanks (2xMALE golden wonders, gardneri nigereanum golds, australe chocolates, gardneri albino's, SJO's and a matter of 200 kortahausae yellows which are charging on bbs every day. Ive only lost 1 fry to a very greedy snail!)

I started out with quite small mops but have gone to larger ones and Im getting eggs from all species. Its great but planning for a holiday is a little harder now :-)

Ive been experimenting with different peat laying containers with different size entry holes with my kort yellow adults but havnt had much success with them laying eggs. Can one of you lot describe, in detail, how to prepare a tray.

Aquanut

:D

Hi Aquanut,

this is what I do for my Notho. korthausae yellow's

tank - 200mmx300mmx200mm

no substrate - important as they will lay the eggs every were.

spawning site - a "small deli pot" from your local supermarket, 100mm across by 30mm deep, with 5mm of 2 to 3mm small round gravel in the it.

to get the eggs use a gravel cleaner and drain the water through a fine net to collect the eggs- wash eggs in clean tank water and mix with a table-spoon of peat, bag, name and date.

Hi AqNut

Now I know you must see this.

Have you sent that rego form for your brother back to me yet??

Do you need me to send another??

Had a good talk at the WAS club on Sunday night, I kept watching the door to see if you'd come in.

I had some Gold Wonders there too.

Alan 104

• 2 weeks later...

Well my chances of getting killies down to invercargill have just gotten harder to do. The only petstore down here won't take them (if I manage to breed them) the reason for this is because they only last a year and they feel that even though they are a very pretty colourful fish they won't be any good to sell because they die so soon.

Cheers

WOW I wasn't expecting that sort of responce! hehe thanks very much for the offer though but I am only getting another couple of tanks for my guppies and I don't think I can get away with another one or more for killies. I have found a 2ft tank for $50 (60Lx30Dx36Hcms) but it has no light. If planted (not excessive) and I had a breeding pair would some of the fry survive? with out having to take them out of the tank to hatch or what ever?

My main problem is trying to get my husband to agree!!! lol. I asked him if I could introduce a new fish to southland and he said "NO Your not getting anymore fish! You only wanted Guppies and thats what you got!!" so umm yeah I got to get around him first and I don't want to have to sign divorse papers to do it hehehehe.

Once again thank you very much for the kind offer but I really got to get my guppies sorted first :D

cheers

I wonder if you realise Pene, regardless i will tell you.

Killies are often more than happy with Guppy’s, or as Community tank Fish. Infact, I used to keep Golden Australe in one of my Guppy Strain tanks, and they bred continuously all over the Broad Leaved Indian Fern and other plant, that had been miscellaneously placed in the tank at the time.

Shae

it is really abit poor that our lfs won't bring down killies. Stu has had some on trademe that I would dearly love to have but apperently the way theise type spawn it's hard to fined the eggs??? To bad to I've got a 3 footer sitting with just plants at the moment. a friend of ours is building me a tank stand at cost!!!! Then I'll be able to lock the kids out of my fishy stuff.

hmmm if they will go into my guppy tank (even though I was told that they would eat my guppies origionaly) which species will I be able to do this with and does anyone have any eggs they could ship and for how much.

hehe I could say that I got some more plants and these eggs must of been on them! hahaha wonder if that would work! hehe

anyway some luck has come my way and I will be able to get the tanks sooner than origional thought :D

Cheers