Tank Upgrade Photos

Fay

Once when I had bad hair and other algae, I used cats eyes. They ate hair at first, then stopped eating it. The solution was I took a bucket down and collected 100's of them and dumped them in the tank. They blitzed the whole thing including all the hair in a few days. Then I had to have a bucket next to the tank to dump them in as I could take them out, before they starved. Left some in that lasted in some cases 2 years. But some will die in the tank also, good idea to keep an eye out for dead ones they can make a lot of pollution.

When you are collecting them, if they are a bit thin on the ground compared to ordinary snails, try a different spot. They seem to be in high numbers relative to ordinary snails in certain spots.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a relatively new product on the NZ market.

http://tlc-products.com/pages/8/index.htm

Marine SAT (Hair Algae Treatment). Eliminates hair algae in marine aquariums. 100% live bacterial formula outcompetes nuisance algae for nutrients. Completely safe and natural. Available in 12 oz., 32 oz., and Gallon bottles (350 ml, 1 liter, and 4 liter bottles).

They look like the other snails on the rocks, but the normal ones have a very thin flat trap door, but catseyes have a thick oval shaped one. The door is nicely coloured and is sometimes used in jewelery, it is this bit that is called the "cats eye"

The catseye snails are in much lower numbers than the other snails so you have to pull a heap of them of the rock and look at the little trap door thingy, until you find one with the cats eye type trap door. Once you've got the first one, you may be able to spot the subtle difference between the snails shell, so you can just get the cats eye ones without having to pull 100's of other ones off.

I was told that there are two type's a good and a bad, the picture on the bottom shows the bad (can tell by the jade like green covering thing), The bad type eat coraline algae. The good type look that same other than the cover thing over the hole which look like a cats eye.

As I said this is just something I was told, can't even remeber by whom, so am happy to be corrected if this is incorrect. But if no one knows for sure I would suggest being safe and just collecting the 'safe' type.

Yep if you find both types and compare it is very easy to tell them apart, the shells look the same. Anywhere with rock pools is good, I like plimmerton cause there are miles of pools.

Tell you what if you ask me nicely I can give you a couple of types of 'proper' tropical snails, I have lots and can spare a few. :D

If you have a huge algae problem you could still look at getting a ton of cats eye's as well, but I would be concerned that you end up with a short term win and a bigger problem in the long run. That being that they will die (some sooner some later) and unless you are careful to keep cleaning them out they will rot on the tank and add to the algae problems.

Oh dear the clowns have had at bit of problems, Clark Boy Clown has been chased by Mumma Clark so he decided to take it out on the new pair.

Changed the aquascape some to get them out of site of each other seems to have worked so far.

I think it looks better too :D

Will take some more pics for ya.

All was sweet today until boy clark wanted to go to bed mumma clark is being real horrid to him. :evil:

I have pulled her out and put her in with the maroon clowns to give her a bit of her own.

If this doesn't work does anyone want a bad tempered clark clown she is a nice size and a good fish on her own with other fish.

Has anyone got any other ideas to try apart from the chopping board.