• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank specs:

Cube Tank 900x900x570h

Main Tank 2730x600x600h

Both run via sump 1600x430x570h<>300high with water when running

Sump is able to take all over flow water when power is off.

850 Deltec skimmer<>Deltec phosphate fluidiser<>five heaters

One pump to under house chiller and one pump straight to tank running 25mm flex piping (blue stuff) 50mm overflow also blue flex pipe<>two streams and two powerheads

Cube just one pump<>one stream and three powerheads

Lighting four 250w mh and four artinic

Cube 150w mh one white one blue t5 and powercompact unit

Ended up having a rush trip to Mangere this afternoon had to take a stray pussy to the spca we tried to adopt it but our cats hated it and he was a tom and did what toms do all round the house I will have to do something about the smell tomorrow.

Anyway I said to Frog not going that close to Jansens without a visit :D

Will take some pics when I get a chance of the goods.

So much for waiting I hope everything will be ok<>I don't think I will get a second chance :D

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!Lots of hair aglae growing should I reduce the lighting for now, got the halides on for 10hrs at the moment?

Tested the water last night:

Phosphates0

Nitrates2.5

Calcium380

Magnesium1260

Kh6

Ph8.3

S/Gravity1.025

Got Rowa and carbon running

Also should I do another water change this week or leave alone?

It's a bit of a shock never had hair aglae before I have noticed my snails have gone don't know what happened to them.

Should I try and clean the rock with a tooth brush or leave alone

Sounds like attack of the sand bed.

Changes in oxygen levels (like moving a tank) remobilise all that phosphate which sand beds are so good at storing, and live rock is so good at sponging up.

I thought about mentioning the rock cooking process during your move Fay, but I thought you had enough on your hands at the time.

Layton

i got a hair algae issue too, im guessing i have existing nutrients leaching from my sand bed. i dont put it down to zeovit failing to work as zeovit works at the ammonia level. for me, i think its time to suck out my sand out and clean it then do a decent water change (overdue) then, just wait for the skimmer to do its thing.

got a hair algae issue too, im guessing i have existing nutrients leaching from my sand bed.

That would be a big guess.

Did you have hair algae before zeovit?? as i noticed that when using zeovit my hair algae went out of control in my sump as i did not do the weekly water changes.

i got a hair algae issue too, im guessing i have existing nutrients leaching from my sand bed. i dont put it down to zeovit failing to work as zeovit works at the ammonia level. for me, i think its time to suck out my sand out and clean it then do a decent water change (overdue) then, just wait for the skimmer to do its thing.

If it's in the sand bed, then more than likely it's in the rock too. I'f you going to take out the sand. Leave it out for a few weeks, blow down the rock, and see just how much crap comes out of the rocks. I think you will be surprised.

Also, uncontrollably adding iron (using zeovit) has the potential to cause problems in terms of mobilising phosphate, as well as adding a nutrient which algae loves.

Layton

Also, uncontrollably adding iron (using zeovit) has the potential to cause problems in terms of mobilising phosphate, as well as adding a nutrient which algae loves.

Layton

Wow that's weird, not my experience at all!

I was in despair prior to starting zeovit the whole tank was riddled with hair algae. All went brown, then white, then gone completely, within a few weeks of starting zeovit. I attributed it to the way zeovit dropped the measureable nutrients to below what hair algae requires for survival.

I couldn't stand to look at the hair algae any more spent about 10hours yesterday cleaning up what a mess when I took if off the back and side glass it went every where filtered with filter wool and did the rocks with a tooth brush.

Today I went to the beach and got some cats eye snails so will see what happens now.

tested the tanks again after some adjusting;

22/09/2005 Phosphates 0 Nitrates 10 Calcium 450 Magnesium 1380

Kh 10 Ph 8.3 S/Gravity 1.025

The Nitrates have jumped I hope that due to the mess I made when cleaning up.

Didn't do a water change this week after all that rain we had.