what to put in what

candy

hi everyone,

i was wondering what u would do if presented with a 4X2X2 foot tank with all the gear ect..but no fish

what would u chose and why also exact number of each fish,and do u consider ur stocking levels ok or under/over stocked

just trying to get idears.

thanks in advance

Better to ask, what kind of fish do you like? The possibilites are endless!

Do you prefer a few large fish or would you rather have a good sized shoal of faster moving small shoaling fish? Do you want a planted tank?

Do you like lots of different fishes or would you prefer a single species only tank?

4x2x2 planted tank

mixture of val, hygro, swords, rotala, driftwood, java moss

about 15 guppies

4 baby kribs

2 adult kribs

200 odd baby bristlenose

2 adult bristlenose (pair)

2 skunk loaches

2 tetras of some description

5 white pigeon discus

2 siamese algae eaters (flying foxes)

2 corydoras catfish

I think that's about it.. I do lose track however :)

My tank is a 4x2x2, and I have a few Plastic Amazon Swords and other plants, Driftwood (will have a Large peice of driftwood from one end to the other shortly, Picture Below).

Royal Whiptails, Black Ghost Knifes, Widow Tetras, Tiger Barbs, Peppermint Bristlenose Catfish (My partner just got 2 of them), Glass Catfish, Not sure about the numbers but i would keep the school fish with atleast 10+ each of them, 2-3 BGK's, 4x RWT, 4x PB's,

Sounds Like my tank, but I have 3 Salmon Tails Catfish about 6"-7" in mine but I have the rest of the above.

4ftCommunityTank.jpg

DriftWood.jpg

i think Ira is the closest to what im putting in mine .....

center peice is a huge twisted bit of driftwood and iv got dark gravel and im going to get amozon swords and other plants (i know the names but not going to atempt to spell them :) )

fish-arfican butterfly

black ghost knife

peacock eel

bornio tiger

gold spot pleco

thats all so far..have been thinking about maybe getting a bisher but dont know if there will be enough room teratorial wise (sorry about spelling ) or a royal pleco....what do u all think

i liek the octopus idear my bf has allways wanted one but i can just see it excaping....

im picking up my tank on saterday moring so realy excited about setting it all up of course it wont have fish in it for awile.... but will definatly get pics of it one its all finished.

octu's are easy to keep and are the most amazing creatures for human interaction ... you have to weigh down the lids of course when you first have him/her but once they realise that this is their home you can leave it unguarded to the extent that as you walk by they will lift the lid and "blast" you with water when they decide they are hungry!! :o .. just have to have bluddy good filters to extract their amazingly large amount of "oky poo" that they produce every 5 odd days... but just throw sum paddle crabs in there and watch the colours change on them with excitement etc.... have kept several of different sizes and the easiest have a head size about 1.5 the size of a large hand with a leg/tentacle radius of about 3.5 to 4 ft ... sooo cool to catch, just grab from sandbed home (look for discarded shells around central hole).. plant them on your wetsuit and they just stick there like velcro... 8)

have heard about these guys night time roaming into other tanks for midnight snack but with the 5 that I have kept , never happened nor any "jail breaks" either ... but this is only my own experience.... :wink:

Far out Kalyman, that sound totally amazing!

Why have I never heard of keeping octopus before????

Do you have any photos, web-links, forum threads etc etc on them? Am very very keen on investigating. Even if only to get the "wow never seen that" reaction from some other fishy types.

Sorry Madcookie , but had these guys when living in Tauranga soo long ago as a early 20 sumthin' dude 8) ..that a 'digital camera was ?? and the best computer you could get was a 486DX2/100 ... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... geez I sound old ..I only learnt thru experientation , but obviously keeping them hasn't changed .. they are still cool .. only thing I would add nowadays is a chiller .. to keep them really happy .. and their food before they get torn apart :o ............... 8)

@Candy .. think about the borneo tiger .... have heaps of rockwork hiding places .. they are a secretive hunter and like to have plenty of places to retreat to if they feel threatened .. i.e other aggressive fish in the tank ....just watch the colours .. if they stay dark wasted out( should have vivid stripes) even with feeding ( live small fish)..then thats stress !!..

good luck :wink: 8)

Thanks klaymann, and sorry for misspelling your name earlier - and having a severe case of thick fingers today.

486's - hey thats not old. I remember a work mate paying six thousand dollars (circa 1993, or 92, this was BIG money) for a 386! Had a whopping 2mb of RAM tho. :roll:

Cheers for the octopus ideas - am now trawling thru google etc trying to figure out how.where/what etc.

One question tho, being as how I cannot stand swimming or especially diving, do we have these octopus in Ncoastal NZ waters? Are they catchable? Am confused by your mention of them clinging onto wetsuits, yet having 4ft long arms/legs???

yes ..when collecting imagine an ocky wrapping itself around you while you are diving... bizzare feeling .. along as he doesn't bite you .. then you'll know all about it .. they have teeth like a parrot but imagine 10 times stronger ( used for cracking shellfish/crabs/crayfish etc... :o

was lucky when doing this.. 8)