Now Safe & will know exact power costs

SteveA

After about a month running off one, then two, seperate household circuits and without anything much on the safety side, I now have my tank running of its new, dedicated, power supply.

We ran a 6mm cable from the upstairs meterboard though a 30Amp circuit breaker (both fuse and cable capable of powering a domestic oven) then through a check meter and down to a sub board just outside the room with the tank. This board has three 20Amp RCDs with circuits terminating just below the board.

So I now have safety, increased redundency and will be able to tell exactly how much power the tank is consuming.

Luckily, the only power issues I have had prior to this was the tank cutting out for a few hours, caused by some MHs coming on, when I initially had everything on just one household circuit.

The next step is to line the wall, with ply since the sump will eventually go against it, then move most of the control and lighting equipment out from round the tank.

Steve

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much did the check Meter cost you? and what are you using at the moment on a daily basis?

I am tempted by a meter, but i can get a clamp meter off trademe for about $80 and my sparkie tells me they are as good as a fluke for domestic stuff.....

How much did the check Meter cost you? and what are you using at the moment on a daily basis?

Meter cost about $150 I think (haven't got the bill yet). It is a wall mounted meter in its own small enclosure and has a rotating number wheel KWh readout just like the normal domestic supply meter.

Don't know answer to 2nd question yet, as it all only went live last night about 18:00. I guess I will get my first idea when I get home tonight.

Luckily the electrician who did the install job was my sisters partner, so I only have to pay for the parts.

Steve

this trademe trader has GREAT prices on Electrical bits!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/show_member_listings.asp?member=2082

his distribution boards and RCD's breakers etc are a good price.....

my spare room is full of bits for the fish room, its going to have to be built soon so i can get my house back....

Tax man will want proff of power use.. may need meter after all according to my accountant....

i notice the americans complaining about the electric bill alot, i thought they got power alot cheaper than we do

Nah, We're around what $.14nz per kilowatt hour? A lot of places in the US are paying $.20 US per kilowatt hour or more, I think. So, that's about $.28nz.

my brother got a meter from genisis power that plugs onto the main wire into the house. Its a digital readout that gives him the kilowatts being used currently in the house. He can tell exactly how much power he is using at any given time.

Since when I got home last night the power was off to the entire area, and had been since about 13:30 (finally came back on just after midnight) I was only able to get an idea of how much power the tank used in the 20ish hours between strarting on the new circuits and the power going off.

Even this makes sobering reading as it was 24 units, or $3.85.

My next power bill will be interesting, as it will cover the first full month with the tank in operation.

Steve

That will only be $60-$80 a month,

According to my calcs it comes out at $115 for 30 days, and that was without extrapolating the 3.85 out from a 20 to a 24 hour period. Also note that the 4 hours it was off before I took the reading was a period when all the lights would normally have been on.

Steve