Riccia - anyone want some?

DubbieBoy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

misnoma - sorry to hear your Ricca didn't take off. I suspect the number one requirement for this plant is light and lots of it... If it does do well the possibilites for aquascaping wth it are huge.

hummingbird - glad to hear yours at least is going well!

dally - have PMd you, should see it Thursday...

MRskz - ain't duckeed a curse! Horrible horrible little plant

matt_mann - got lots; PM me :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I got Riccia from dubbieboy a LONG time ago and have never had a chance to pay it forward due to dim lighting in the tank it was originally in. All my tanks are now lit to the hilt and I have some for Ant or anyone else local that need some. I use it as a floating shade for the discus and, well, EVERYTHING. Fry love hiding in it, fish love resting in it like a hammock and it does an interesting job of filtering the water when you have an airstone in the tank. So if you're a local, hit me up for a cupful.

Just wanted to say that I got Riccia from dubbieboy a LONG time ago and have never had a chance to pay it forward due to dim lighting in the tank it was originally in. All my tanks are now lit to the hilt and I have some for Ant or anyone else local that need some. I use it as a floating shade for the discus and, well, EVERYTHING. Fry love hiding in it, fish love resting in it like a hammock and it does an interesting job of filtering the water when you have an airstone in the tank. So if you're a local, hit me up for a cupful.

Hi

I would like some.

Let me know whereabouts you are based.

Thanks

Just be aware Riccia and Florish Excel don't mix too well

If you are double dosing your tank to get rid of black beard algae, then I suggest you haul out your riccia and twisted val.....

.... If not you will be left with mush...

... Trust me...it happened to my tank... twisted val and riccia have only just started to come back and it has been over a month.

Before I 'installed' the Riccia, I had seen this happen with Vallis - I dosed (recommended amount) of Excel and all my Valls just melted away, completely. Nothing else, just the Vallis. And I have heard of this happening to others elsewhere too on other forums and I firmly believe the Excel was the cause, it was just too coincidental to be anything else. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great product (if not for the purpose for which the manufacturer intended, its far more useful as a BBAlgicide than a CO2 supplement IMHO), just some plant species appear to react badly to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi peanuts,

Did the Riccia I sent you before not do so well then? My tank is still churning it out so if you want to send down another SAE, I'll get more Riccia to you? But you may have to change something about your setup if a new batch is to be any more likely to flourish. Think LIGHT and lots of it :wink:

- DB

thanks Dubbie, no the problem was my hubby took a liking to Apple snails and they loved the riccia, thought it was a lovely treat.

so I have set up another tank solely for my guppies and left HIS snails in the other tank, so lighting isn't/wasn't the problem.

now how did we do it last time, can't remember, do you want me to send you an envelope with the postage attached or do you want to give me your bank account number and will I can deposit the postage into your account?

thanks so much

Ouch :o

Apple Snails treat tanks like a salad-bar! Pretty cool critters otherwise tho'. I have one (Sheila) which I keep isolated in a nice glass vase on the coffee table and I feed her (it, whatever... Apple snails aren't hermaphrodites so it could actually be a girl...) riccia and lettuce leaves which she simply DEVOURS! Mostly she just plods about, doing snail stuff...

Just mail me a self-addressed envelope (I recommend the A5 $5 prepaid fastpost padded envelopes from the postshop which hold a good sized pottle) and I'll return it to you. I'll PM you the address. I'm gearing up to do a whole lot of pruning just as soon as I get a chance as there's barely room for the fish in there at the moment. Would you be interested in some other plant cuttings too? Might need a bigger envelope tho' :D

- DB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...