Riccia - anyone want some?

DubbieBoy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No probs and don't sweat the cost, I haven't asked anyone else for any $$s (although I was a bit taken aback at the number of requests...:o). Now that Misnoma is handling the Auckland contingent, it takes a lot of the pressure off. I've gotten a lot of value from this list and its members so just pay it forward when you get the chance... :D

• 2 months later...

amagash!! Dubbie boy!! :hail::hail::hail:

you diserv a medal!!

erm.. I think ill PM misnoma..

i can send some star grass (Heteranthera Zostereafolia) back tor ya if you wont some.. it grows like wild fire in my tank =\, forms a nice carpet/ground cover if well trimmed... :D

hmm, well i PMd misnoma and he said his ran out so... lol Dubbie boy could you send some up for me? its just i dont wont all that riccia going into the bin.. =P.

can you post here if its alright?? ill send you my details then =D :bow:

Hi there dally,

No worries dude; PM me your details and I'll get some your way in the next week or so.

Hey check this out, my Riccia-Rock!

Riccia3.jpg

I started with some plastic mesh (an unravelled shower-scrub thingy) with some hat-band elastic woven through the edge, like a hairnet but with a coarser mesh. Stuffed some wonder-weed inside and popped it over the end of a piece of driftwood. Its been going for about 6 weeks now and looks great, particularly when completely covered in O2 bubbles.

Riccia4.jpg

Riccia5.jpg

Riccia - more than just a floater :lol:

- Dubb

Thanks Candy,

I certainly wouldn't claim the idea as my own, look here...

http://www.aquabotanic.com/ricciaarticle.html

or google 'riccia aquascaping'.

Yes, it just grows through and out over the mesh until eventually you can't see the mesh anymore. Then you can just keep it trimmed with a scissors.

It does look very neat though (needs muchos light!). Give it a go :P

Hi I am new to this forum. I started my goldfish aquarium since July. I have been looking for useful info from this forum. This forum is very very helpful and now my tank has been cycled. However I am having problem with algae. They appears all over my plants leave. I start to plant heavyly in the tank to suck all the nutriets out but I think the algae have been established before the plant. I am wanting to out complete the algae in a natural way. so i am excited to know that Riccia can do that successfully and beautifully. If you have some left, could you possibly post me some aswell. I am happy to pay for postage. Cheers :D

Hi Guys,

I think it might be worth pointing out that, although Riccia is not a fussy plant under good conditions, 'good conditions' mean HIGH light levels (and we're not talking about the single, sad flouro tube that came with your tank here...), some degree of CO2 injection (important) and a good fertlilisation regimen. If your conditions don't fit the bill, then there's little point in my mailing it out as it will die (I'd be curious to know who of the folks I've sent some to has actually had success growing it up...?).

IF you think your tank can support it (i.e. your other plants are all doing quite well), then I'm only too happy to send some. But if you're struggling to grow the regular stuff, then the Riccia is unlikely to do very well. Having said that, if you cover the postage, I'll gladly send some to try, no worries at all :P

In light of the steady and ongoing demand however, I'm going to have to start accepting folk's offers to pay the postage cost too (and most everone has freely offered I'm very glad to say :)) I had hoped I wouldn't have to but...

I usually have sent it out in one of those $5 Fastpost prepaid envelopes which holds a good sized pottle so handiest thing is probably just to mail a self-addressed one of those to me and I will try and return it stuffed full of lovely Riccia!

- Dubb.

hehe DB.

umm have you sent my stuff of yet? tell me when you do\did.

Lol i just need to get rid of some of my star grass!!! ill send it back in your pack.. or what ever your sending it in... i got some spare rotala too.. lol, and a bit of loose hair-grass...

just tell me what you wont back?? =p

Well Pene gave me her's that you had sent as she was having problems getting enough light to her other plants. I have it in my 3 foot tank with a sad little one flora light, lights are EXPENSIVE, and I've been chucking it out, putting it on trademe, doing anything I can to keep it to a dull roar. The duck weed that's in there might be encouraging it, not sure. I have both in my 2 footer aswell and if left to there own divices they'd take over the tank.

wicked stuff, handel with care :wink: