May 11, 200521 yr comment_49283 here's how... http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=2406 Report
May 12, 200521 yr Author comment_49322 Thanks Caryl, why didnt i think of that? Will post tonight when back on my home computer. (im at work-naughty eh!) Report
May 12, 200521 yr Author comment_49401 ok ive added the pic. ive added plywood 'cladding' and its nearly finished now but still to take another pic. Report
May 12, 200521 yr comment_49402 Hehe, my nearly finished stand looks so over engineered compared to that then again it's for a 500L tank.. Looking excellent though Report
May 12, 200521 yr Author comment_49404 Thought i might have over done it. its for a 250l tank 122x45x45cm. used 4x2" s and gangnails and 16mm ply. But whats in the picture was so simple to do and hardly took an afternoon. I'm reasonably handy with tools but was even easier when Benchmark precut the 4x2 s for me. Report
May 12, 200521 yr comment_49440 Benchmark eh... Did you tell them what you needed it for and they helped with plans, or did you know exactly how it was going to be built first? I'm NOT good with tools.. But maybe I could make myself a stand! It would need to hold about 450L though... :-? Report
May 12, 200521 yr comment_49441 hi heather, here's some pic's of the stands I made. to add support you could have considered centre support and cross bracing as shown below. anyways hopefully these will help you out a bit or give you some ideas. best thing I did was add 3 layers of 12mm plywood to the main tank stand! expensive but it is solid AS. we demolised the kitchen with a sledge hammer after this was all in and not have a single ripple in the water! here's the stands in the sump room (main one in view is 4 foot/holds 320 litres, small one is 3 foot/holds 180 litres): i was testing water flow here with a temp container. note the support through the centre and cross bracing. here's the stand for the main tank in the lounge wall (5 foot/holds 540 litres): good to see you have put bracing along the floor - i hope the timber is tanalised (sp?) or it will rot overtime. i did this for my main tank to disperse the weight more evenly across the floor. i would recommend putting down that black rubber type of stuff (not sure what its called) under the legs. Report
August 21, 200521 yr comment_61451 I was *going* to make my own tank stand. Did up my plans for it. Worked out what wood I was using for which bit etc. Then my pertner came along and took over He got chatting with two builder friends and has totally changed my plans, and I'm worried now that it won't hold the tank Plus, he is taking ages to do it and I want it done NOW Report
August 21, 200521 yr comment_61454 I'll watch for you on Mitre 10's DIY Rescue :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Report
August 22, 200521 yr comment_61599 Hehe, he said (after much whinging from me!) that he will get it done this week :lol: I suppose there isn't really a rush for it, I just want it done I still need to get more gravel and stuff for the tank, and the stand will have to be painted etc. Meantime I'm browsing Trademe for more tanks My poor neglected goldfish have a small ugly tank in the hallway, and I definately think they deserve better :lol: Report
August 23, 200521 yr comment_61789 Hi here is a picture of a stand that a friend has made for us. It has 2 x 4ft tanks, one on top of the other. Each tank is 260L, 4ft x 2ft x 2ft. The stand is 190cm high and 125cm wide We will be varnishing the timber at a later date and adding some wood around the tops of the tanks so the light does not annoy us. My partners tank is on the top and it contains hundreds of guppy, swordtail, and sailfin Molly fry, as well as some adults and teens Sorry about the quality of the pictures they were taken with my camera phone.. Report
August 23, 200521 yr comment_61791 Hi here is a picture of a stand that a friend has made for us. It has 2 x 4ft tanks, one on top of the other. Each tank is 260L, 4ft x 2ft x 2ft. Urm... 4x2x2ft = 430L That's some serious weight sitting in one spot. Report
August 23, 200521 yr comment_61820 Seems like a lot but I think about it this way, if you had 5 largeish guys standing in the corner would you be worried? Of course not, there is a building standards load weighting for house floors, I don't know for sure what this is (so please don't blame me if you use the number and end up with your tank down in the room below!) but seem to remember reading that it is 800kg per square meter. Or another way to look at it, plently of garages are made with the same flooring but you don't ever worry about your 2 ton SUV going through the floor. Report
August 23, 200521 yr comment_61823 Seems like a lot but I think about it this way, if you had 5 largeish guys standing in the corner would you be worried? Of course not, there is a building standards load weighting for house floors, Funny.. that's how we tested the floor for both my ~500L tanks :lol: :lol: Wooden floored apartment, so there's a bit of movement, but nothing insane hehe. Report
August 24, 200521 yr comment_61877 Urm... 4x2x2ft = 430L That's some serious weight sitting in one spot. It's lucky we live in a single story with concrete slab but dont worry about the weight, our friend has made the same stand for two 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft tanks and its still stand after about 5 years. Report
August 26, 200521 yr comment_62159 Yay! My stand is finally made. Just need to paint it now Almost looks too good to paint. Have forgiven my partner for taking over the job cause he has done an excellent job. Just need to get him going on the hood now hehe Report
August 7, 200620 yr comment_114710 I know this is an old post, but I can't see some of the pics, is that why? I have a couple of questions on the first pic that Heather posted. Please forgive me, I'm a secretary NOT a carpenter in any way, shape, or form 8) and feel free to laugh :lol: :lol: , especially when I use the wrong terminology Here goes, the top of the stand: why is it you can have the top of the "frame" :-? extending over the posts that go down (*go down* very technical huh!) I would have thought they have to be "even" with the posts for strength? What are the metal thingies that are joining the wood????? AND, would the posts, er, how to put this, ah...ok...the wood that is "sitting" on the posts where they join, would that also be glued? nailed? screwed? in addition to the metal thingies?? Report
August 8, 200620 yr comment_114786 ...the wood that is "sitting" on the posts where they join, would that also be glued? nailed? screwed? in addition to the metal thingies?? Hey Caper! I think it wouldn't hurt if the top of the stand would also be nailed or screwed to the posts/legs. Sorry I don't know what those metal thingies are called either - I know they sell them in DIY stores here in NZ but I forgot what they are called... Sorry I can't be of more help Report
August 10, 200620 yr comment_115157 Just caught someone mentioning about the weight the floor can hold I dont know how much reading your keen to do but this article is pretty good! I read it all before I setup my 540L tank in the lounge as I didn't want the floor in the house were renting to fall through! http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a ... weight.php Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.