i'm making my own stand

heather

They are plates of various shapes for different joining jobs and are plate steel with two sides of a triangle cut and bent up to work like nails. You bang the whole plate with a hammer and the spikes go into the wood and act like nails. There are also plates available with holes in them and nails are banged through the holes-- works the same way.

My aim would be to build a frame around the bottom as well as the top to distribute the load over the floor better. Any tank over about 200mm high probably exceeds the "theoretical" design floor load so it pays to make sure the load is distributed rather than all coming down through four legs of one square inch each.

Too lazy at the moment to go downstairs to see how the stand for my 29 gallon was made :-? 8) but I think 2x4's and frame :-?

As was posted above, 2x4's would be sufficient for my 4' tank:

1) 4 posts: each post - (2) 2x4's

2) on the outside of posts, if you know what I mean (lousy at describing)-2x4's to "box" it in (top & bottom)

Am I getting the right idea do you think :-? ?

Another question, if you have enough bracing and nails, is there still a chance that the wood would warp???move out of shape????