Pond Liner

Caryl

As we await (still) the EQC assessors to visit us, what pond liners do you recommend? I know you suggested one Livingart but I can't find where you said it. I need to work out the approx cost of lining the pond so we know how much to ask from EQC.

Bearing in mind my pond is approx 9m x 3.5m and almost half a metre deep in the middle. It holds around 15,750L (I am told)

We think the concrete cracked in one of the big quakes we had here as the pond has leaked since then. It seems worse at the moment and we are wondering if it is because the concrete shrinks a little in winter so the crack(s) is (are) wider. Losing 5cm - 6cm every 24 hours but have not worked out how many litres that is.

Luckily our water is not metered and there is not a water shortage this time of year. We are also on an old riverbed so leaking water drains away and does not cause problems elsewhere (that we know of).

So, need recommendations please for a good quality liner suitable for a large pond.

Damn, I will have to go and buy some stilettos then B|

We thought the pond leak was worse but a closer look revealed a blocked bit in the filter meant the box inside the decorative housing was overflowing, hence the more dramatic water loss. Filter has been cleaned out and we reduced the water flow too.

Would still like to line the pond but unsure if EQC will pay for it as I don't think we can prove it has only been leaking since, and as a direct result of, the quake.

Hmmm, from the FAQs and things on EQC's site, they don't specifically mention ponds.  But it does say that landscaping isn't covered, which presumably a pond would be included in.  Hope they do cover it though.

16 hours ago, Ira said:

Hmmm, from the FAQs and things on EQC's site, they don't specifically mention ponds.  But it does say that landscaping isn't covered, which presumably a pond would be included in.  Hope they do cover it though.

Ahh, hadn't seen that Ira. Thanks. We will see what happens. If they won't come to the party then we will try our insurance company instead.

Have no proof either way as whether it was caused by quake except it did not leak before the quake (apart from when it was first built and that was fixed) but has done so since.

Got a call from EQC today. Told them about the pond leaking since the quake and they said they would send an assessor to have a look. No mention of "sorry, we don't do ponds".

AMI are handling it and they are also our insurer so if it fails from an EQC point perhaps we can get it under our own insurance policy. Fingers crossed!

A decent liner will cost between $2000 and $3000 and that doesn't include freight/delivery of the liner, which is heavy! Not something we will be able to handle ourselves as we are old and, in Grant's case, arthritic!