Hi

nays

*waves*

Santa brought my two youngest girls a fish tank for Christmas - 165L Aqua One AR850, second hand (though they haven't figured that out yet LOL).  They decided that they want two angelfish and a school of lemon tetras.  We dirted it and planted it, and have had three lemons for nearly two weeks.  Still waiting for ammonia to show.  

Having spent many hours researching this hobby online before I bought their tank, I'm now planning my own of course :-)

Welcome to the site and hobby. My guess is that you are doing a natural cycle with the tank just as grandfather used to do before someone decided it was cruel to cycle naturally. If you continue to add fish slowly everything should go well. I used to have a fish house with 60 tanks and bred 50000 tropical fish a year and I have always cycled tanks naturally by adding fish slowly and allowing the system to adjust.

Thanks Caryl.  Having read so many horror stories about overstocked uncycled tanks, I wanted to play it safe!  The tank is fairly well planted so I suspect it may never show ammonia at all with just three fish.  But I'll give it a couple more weeks to be sure before I add a few more.

3 hours ago, alanmin4304 said:

Welcome to the site and hobby. My guess is that you are doing a natural cycle with the tank just as grandfather used to do before someone decided it was cruel to cycle naturally. If you continue to add fish slowly everything should go well. I used to have a fish house with 60 tanks and bred 50000 tropical fish a year and I have always cycled tanks naturally by adding fish slowly and allowing the system to adjust.

Thanks Alan, yes we're doing it the 'old school' way, a few fish, lots of plants, and water changes.  We'll be taking it very slow - we had to wait a month before we could even put fish in the tank (since we were going away on holiday) so the kids are learning a lot about patience :-)  Does them good.