What to do when on tank water

Morfin2

Hi.  Having moved to a rural property recently I have given up tropical keeping but would love to get some goldfish in my 300l tank (power outages and large water changes being harder). I was only thinking a small number to keep the upload low with a fly all filter and air stone.  However we are on rainwater tanks and all my research has said I can't keep fish in that water.  Any ideas?   Is there a conditioner or something I can use to assist.  Or is it a complex process to get it to a usable water in which case I will sell the tank and move on?  Any advice gratefully accepted. 

D

Redo your research - tank water is great and not a problem for most fish especially gold fish.  There are some fish that require hard water like some Africian Cichlids but the majority of cold and tropical fish are happy in neutral or soft-ish water.  If you want to keep a hard water fish then epsom salts can act as a buffer.  For most fish problems arrive with sudden changes in PH & Hardness (which are linked) not the level they are kept in.  

A lot of advise against using rain water comes from overseas in areas of high pollution (think China at the moment), rural NZ is not a problem.

Thanks Alan.  Frogs could be interesting.  I might look into that.  

Shiloh, I've just done another search online and all I can seem to find is NZ pages (including previous posts on here) that state that rainwater doesn't have enough minerals to sustain life and should not be used for goldfish (or any other fish).  And apparently can also be a huge issue given there may be metals in it from collection points so thanks for clarifying that for me. 

I can completely understand how people get so confused on what to do!!!!   It might be a case of giving it a go and seeing what happens once I test for PH etc.  

I used to breed 50000 tropical fish a year in a previous life and always bred tetras in rainwater without a problem. You need water with even less mineral content to breed rummy nose or cardinal tetras. I have a friend that breeds them in water from a dehumidifying unit without a problem. No doubt the mineral content increases as you start feeding the babies.

19 hours ago, Morfin2 said:

However we are on rainwater tanks and all my research has said I can't keep fish in that water.  Any ideas? 

My ideas are that your research is completely wrong, I've been using nothing but rainwater for 17 years.

If pure RO water (reverse osmosis) in an ultra clean & bare tank was used then yes it would lack essential minerals.  But remember that even RO water will quickly uptake minerals, organics and chemicals from left over fish food / waste, substrate, decorations, plants etc.   

Harmful minerals and chemicals from clean air rainwater would only come from brand new galv roofs which haven't had a chance to oxide or old fashioned lead based paints (modern roof paints are not a problem) etc.  If you can drink the water coming from the roof then the fish will happily swim in it.

In fact rain water has a major advantage - no need to worry about treating the water for chlorine & I wish I was still on tank water!

If you are worried about power outages, maybe look at some of the fish that can handle slightly lower temps in the 'warm room' range. Then if the power goes out, any drop in temperature will be less of an issue (I'm assuming a bit here, but I'd imagine you have a woodburner for room heating in winter, as many rural folks do, so the house won't get too cold during any power cut?) I have a 20-21oC tank with White Cloud Minnows (2 colours, and do look a bit like Tetras as well), Danios ( long-fin in 2 different colours , and there are several other variants available), Hillstream Loaches, and a 'Mini-moth catfish' (hara jerdoni). It looks good, plenty of activity and colour.

I believe several of the Barbs & Platys, the Paradise Fish and Peppered catfish are also happy in this temperature range. Google 'sub-tropical Aquarium' if you want to see more info. A sub-tropical in 330L would look awesome!

As long as you don't have a tiny tank, or power outages lasting days in the middle of winter then temperature isn't really a problem.  I've accidentally left the heater unplugged in my tank for a couple weeks over winter and it's colder in Wellington than Auckland.   Didn't notice until I wondered idly why the fish are moving a little slower. Turned out the tank was at 15°.  Tank had a bunch of tetras, bristlenoses, I think a couple dwarf cichlids at the time too.  All were perfectly fine.   My bigger tank only lost about 4 degrees the last time we had a 20 hour power outage over winter. 

Colour_genes - that's a really interesting idea.   Some gorgeous fish that I haven't actually had before which is quite attractive.  I will be understocking the tank quite a bit to cut down on bioload so they would be cool fish

Ira - interested to know re your outage you mention, they have always given me the heebies because of possible filter issues and the whole "spewing toxic bacteria into the tank when they restart" you read online.     Did you have any problems with it or just had to do more water changes for a while?  

36 minutes ago, Morfin2 said:

Colour_genes - that's a really interesting idea.   Some gorgeous fish that I haven't actually had before which is quite attractive.  I will be understocking the tank quite a bit to cut down on bioload so they would be cool fish

Ira - interested to know re your outage you mention, they have always given me the heebies because of possible filter issues and the whole "spewing toxic bacteria into the tank when they restart" you read online.     Did you have any problems with it or just had to do more water changes for a while?  

I did once,  had a handful of 12 hour power outages over a couple weeks, without problem.  Then one day after a 5-6 hour outage I woke up to find 30 dead tetras.  Ever since then if the outage lasts more than an hour I just unplug the filters, once the power comes back I give the filters a quick clean and dump the water out.  No issues at all since then.   It's not a big deal if the fish have to wait a little longer for you to get the filter running, they can last days without filters.

Though, I've also had a couple times the power went out while I was at work for a long time and it was fine when it came back.  So may be over cautious.

Quite a few barbs are more temperate than tropical too. Golden, cherry, rosy and Odessa barbs would work as would leopard and zebra danios and a number of the tetras.
Hoplo cats would be a good option as well.

Paradisefish are beautiful and coldwater although they will eat everything else in the aquarium :smiley_wink_ani:

If you are good with your regular maintenance, and do not overstock (a lot of plants help too and there are quite a few tropicals that will tolerate lower temperatures) the filter should cope for a day or two without power.

Thanks Ira.  Good to know.  

Caryl - maintenance isn't an issue, when I have tanks I like to play with them so water changes happen often.  And I have a big garden that will be grateful for the water.  The big issue now is picking.  I didn't actually think I would have this much choice.  I love paradise fish.  I also love Odessa. Danios are something I've never had but look amazing.  Hoplo cats I have no idea about and I've kept fish for years.  Any hints?  Will also do some searching.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya.  It's all in place and ready to go, problem is that we don't have any water at the moment that I can spare from the tanks to fill it.  My partner has promised next rain I can do it.   However I have spent plenty of time planning and I have decided that you were right and sub-tropical is what I am going to do.  Clouds or danios definitely, golden barbs as a bit of colour and paradise fish are a possible.  Planted tank although I really don't know re the bottom. I read a few cories are ok sub-tropical and I do love them.  Will understock to help the bio-load.  So if anyone wants to do a rain dance I'd be stoked.  The north is just so dry at the moment. :(

6 hours ago, Morfin2 said:

Hiya.  It's all in place and ready to go, problem is that we don't have any water at the moment that I can spare from the tanks to fill it.  My partner has promised next rain I can do it.   However I have spent plenty of time planning and I have decided that you were right and sub-tropical is what I am going to do.  Clouds or danios definitely, golden barbs as a bit of colour and paradise fish are a possible.  Planted tank although I really don't know re the bottom. I read a few cories are ok sub-tropical and I do love them.  Will understock to help the bio-load.  So if anyone wants to do a rain dance I'd be stoked.  The north is just so dry at the moment. :(

How the hell are your tanks not nearly overflowing?  Mine is full and I've been watering a greenhouse, garden, water changes in a tank bigger than yours and filling up a spa pool! :)

Morfin2, Ohh, I understand the pain!! of waiting for the rain :smugshrug:. Was on tank water myself some years ago BF (Before Fish). Fortunately it was in Nelson which tends to be fairly rainy, but I vividly remember one summer. I will send a wish and a little rain dance your way :D.

Stocking choices sound great, red and golden barbs together sounds beautiful. I highly recommend long-fin Danios, they look almost like they are flying around the tank rather than swimming.

I have Windelov Java Fern, Crypt wendtii, and lilaeopsis in my sub-tropical and all are growing really well, if that helps.

:D:D:$. Haha, no showers for a week, then? Right!  Maybe a tanker could 'mistakenly' deliver a load of water to the 'wrong' address for you!

Yes, I've been surprised by how well the crypts are actually doing. None of that 'meltdown' business at all; and yep, they struggled in my tropical tanks as well. Now I'm thinking I should be getting a bigger tank for my subtropicals. Sigh.:smiley_wink_ani: