Mystery pond deaths WARNING Autopsy pics

Caryl

The past two days have had the death of one very large and one medium sized goldfish each day and today I have another small - medium about to expire. I have seen no sign of them spawning yet and do not usually until November, so it is not exhausted females.

There is not a mark on them. Full colour, no redness, rapid breathing, bloating, fin rot or swim bladder problem. They just curl slightly and die.

These photos show the smallest. It is still alive, breathing normally. If startled it can swim away then just goes back to hanging curled on its side.

Pond appears as usual. Fresh water runs into it continually via a ballcock. Filter and waterfall running well. No garden spraying that I know of done by neighbours (besides, I would expect more deaths if that was the case). We back on to a reserve and nothing is done over there except the occasional mowing.

I would attach photo but it keeps telling me I am only allowed 215.04kb despite the pic only being 79kb. Trying a Photobucket link instead.

Above%20view_zpstwtktbzl.jpg

Edited by Caryl

The above was taken looking down on the fish. The patch that looks a bit like a skull is just reflection. It is in a plastic container sitting on a stainless steel draining bit of the bench.

This is from the front.

Front%20view_zpsepjzavk2.jpg

Edited by Caryl

There is nothing to spray over the fenceline and the fence is solid iron so I doubt spray would get through that, then the thick row of hebes and into the pond but will check on Monday. They have never sprayed before so doubt they are doing so now.
Not age as none of them are anywhere near old age.
We haven't had any temperature changes that would affect such a large body of water.
I started feeding them last week and wondered if the fish food had gone off but more would be affected if that was the case. I have thrown out the old food as a precaution although it looked and smelled like the new food.

Sprays, disease, off food, temp should all have seen more deaths.

fish aren't skinny or have dropsy and no external damage so predator isout of the picture too

Are gills red/pink?

Autopsy time, liver a good colour and does stomach contents smell bad? 

'

Edited by livingart

Not sure about an autopsy as I do not have any equipment (or a good enough knife, or the stomach o.O ). At the moment this fish is still alive, but only just. We are going out and I suspect it will be dead on our return. It does not appear to be stressed which is why I have not euthanised it.
Gills looking lovely and normal.

I used to get a similar problem sometimes when I was breeding goldfish, always in spring when the fish started feeding again. I put it down to particularly greedy fish gulping down too much dry food, & possibly air, in one go. Leading to some sort of gut blockage?

Anyway, I pretty much eliminated it in my ponds by making sure I used pre-soaked or moist food for the first couple of weeks of feeding.

Thanks for that Colour_genes. I am wondering the same myself so will soak the flakes before adding them to the water. I do not feed pellets or larger foods at first (my dad always said fine porridge oats was good for them at the start of spring).

We have had a very hard winter so perhaps that has added to the problem.

I'm sure I read somewhere in the last week of one other person losing their goldfish when starting off feeding again.  Well, that is what they put it down to with the unexplained deaths.

I lost a one or two a week last season in my aquaponics pond (probably lost 10 or 12 total) as it warmed up and feeding started.. once I completely cleaned my sump (bathtub) right out, no more deaths at all. So this season I cleaned out sump once again at end of winter (added some shrimp to live and clean the sump) and gone to a mostly home made vege diet rather than shop bought diet. I've had one die over the same period as last seasons disaster, and just had 3 days of spawning :-)

Fish died and we tried to open it up. No idea what to look at. Have taken photos but need to go out now. I will email the pics to you later today LA rather than post them here in case they upset someone.

I'd have liked to see the pics...:(

Weird i had a similiar issue when we lived out in drury in auckland.I lost most of my large males that were 10+ years old and all my oranas.

I started feeding in spring too so maybe its the greediness and they are getting blocked up.

My big ones that died were 30cms

What are you feeding (brand, food type)? Autopsy pics look pretty healthy (well, other than being dead) - although I can't tell (noob) whether the top organ in the first photo is a gonad or kidney - if kidney, it looks like it might have some fatty deposits on it? Though it could also be an ovary full of eggs and I've just not dissected enough fish (I have a habit of taking all the organs out first, and haven't had many chances to dissect large fish where I can easily discern what everything is, lol).