October 12, 201411 yr comment_555384 I have two goldfish (a Comet (I suspect) and a Bronze Shubunkin) that I keep together in a tank that holds nearly 40 litres. The fish are both approximately 10cm in length, and I would like to know if my tank is large enough for them. I have already asked elsewhere twice; the first response was that the tank is not suitable for containing even one of my fish, and the second was that the tank is big enough to hold one more fish of their size. So, which is it? Thanks in advance. Report
October 12, 201411 yr Author comment_555387 An order of magnitude too small. Is it possible to tell me the minimum acceptable size, then? Report
October 12, 201411 yr comment_555388 Is it possible to tell me the minimum acceptable size, then? It's one of those questions where it depends on who you ask. I'm a bit crazy about good tank size. I personally feel that 300L is a bare minimum, preferably 400L - I tend to go with "goldfish belong in ponds" as it's more likely to happen compared to someone buying like a 1000L tank for their goldies (now that's dedication, lol). Others go by 20 gal/75L per goldfish. But you have to remember that given the space these fish will grow 25cm+ (some much bigger), along with being fairly active and very messy fish :dunno: Report
October 12, 201411 yr comment_555396 For three fish that size you shound have at the least a 70l with plants Report
October 12, 201411 yr comment_555400 It's one of those questions where it depends on who you ask. I'm a bit crazy about good tank size. I personally feel that 300L is a bare minimum, preferably 400L - I tend to go with "goldfish belong in ponds" as it's more likely to happen compared to someone buying like a 1000L tank for their goldies (now that's dedication, lol). :iag: Report
October 12, 201411 yr comment_555401 I am one of those who would say any short finned goldfish should be in ponds. Even 70L is way too small for goldfish. If you must put them in a tank I would start with a minimum 3ft, 120L and go up from there as they grow. Report
October 12, 201411 yr Author comment_555405 I am one of those who would say any short finned goldfish should be in ponds. Even 70L is way too small for goldfish. If you must put them in a tank I would start with a minimum 3ft, 120L and go up from there as they grow. I am keeping them in a tank because I have kept goldfish in my pond before, but none of them have lasted long. The Comet that I have is the sole remnant of a group of ~12 that I placed in my pond in 2012 or 2013. Would that be 3ft tall, or wide? Report
October 12, 201411 yr comment_555406 3 foot long. Large surface area is the way to go with fish, it allows a larger oxygen tranfer into the water. Report
October 14, 201411 yr comment_555494 It used to be recommended a minimum of 50 litres per goldfish (smallish size) but given that a 60cm x 30cm x 30xm tank is over 50litres and a goldfish should get up to 30cm in length, thats too small. I agree, at least 3 foot. 3 foot long and as wide and tall as you like but aim for at least 45cm wide and high. The more surface area the better. Good on you for keeping on asking. You say goldfish haven't last long in your pond before, have they died or gone missing? Missing = birds or cats Death = pond not deep enough to keep it cool in the summer and enabling the fish to get down lower in the winter + numerous other reasons. Report
October 15, 201411 yr Author comment_555526 You say goldfish haven't last long in your pond before, have they died or gone missing? Missing = birds or cats Death = pond not deep enough to keep it cool in the summer and enabling the fish to get down lower in the winter + numerous other reasons. It is probably the latter reason, but I have rarely ever seen dead goldfish in my pond. There has seemingly been a pile-up of mud at the bottom of my pond (which has prevented the fish from reaching its depths) that would be near-impossible to clean. I do not wish to put them back in the pond out of fear for their safety, but I cannot afford a tank large enough for them either, so I am between a rock and a hard place as it stands. Report
October 15, 201411 yr comment_555534 Not keen to drain the pond and clear it out? I know that its easy enough for me to suggest it seeing I don't have to do it. Perhaps consider rehoming them to some one who has a large pond. Big goldfish are magnificent Report
October 15, 201411 yr comment_555547 Probably don't even need to drain it, just scoop with a bucket, don't need to get all of it. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.