Help

Benjansss

My goldfish tank is having an full on algae bloom I've tried every thing several huge water charges a full coarse of the strongest algae killer i can find and charged all the filters and the waters still deep green plz help The fish are all fine but all my plants have died :cry1: :tears: &c:ry

Over feeding can lead to excess nutrients that feeds algae. Is a real art to getting water to stay green :bggrn:

And algae products could harm the helpful bacteria in your filter leaving more nutrients = more for algae.

Green water is not a bad thing, no good if you want to see your fish though.

And go easy on cleaning the filter .. should only do so when flow is restricted and don't clean thoroughly as you will clean away the beneficial bacteria that helps keep things in balance.

Look into how to cycle a tank.

I dont know what a canister filter is but i had a gold fish that lived to eight but i had to put her down because she got swim bladder problems :cry1: :(:cry: :tears: and gold fish have no stomachs of need quite a bit more food then other fish and mine are all big the biggest is about 16 cms long

Cannister filter = external filter (one that sits outside the tank). No filters put air into the water, nor do air pumps. When surface movement is created - that allows for the gas exchange. Thats why fish come up nearer the surface when they need air.

I dont know what a canister filter is but i had a gold fish that lived to eight but i had to put her down because she got swim bladder problems :cry1: :(:cry: :tears: and gold fish have no stomachs of need quite a bit more food then other fish and mine are all big the biggest is about 16 cms long

They can apparently live to 30 years old.

Cycling a fish tank or at least understanding the basics of it is paramount if you want your fish to live a long and content life.

If you want to feed them heaps (not recommended) you need lots of fresh oxygenated water and very good filtration.

From the turtle rescue thread:

What horrible evil old people :evil: i hope any one who does that. Dies a slow and painful death :an!gry

Some would say not understanding cycling a tank is causing your fish "a slow and painful death"

Just trying to help. My fish keeping was a mess as a kid, as I did not know anything about cycling. The petshop said I could keep tropicals too, just put a desk lamp on the tank to heat it they said. :facepalm: Why the guy didn't just sell me a heater I do not know to this day.