2000L tank, nearly one year on.

David R

Yeah they're fairly high up my list of species to try, the blue/red colour plus their size makes them an attractive proposition on paper, but like you I've never really been a fan for one reason or another.

Anyway, here's some more pics.

Started the day off by scooping this guy out.

IMG_7029Large_zps195ba9ec.jpg

Bucket-o-fish.

IMG_7046Large_zpsd09bd5ac.jpg

Angels checking out one of the new arrivals.

IMG_7070Large_zps85c28e60.jpg

Nothing goes on without supervision from the Vizsla.

IMG_7125Large_zpsef785726.jpg

The two large angels.

IMG_7121Large_zpsa698c348.jpg

Sterbais starting to colour up, they seem completely unphased by the large plecs.

IMG_7175Large_zps7fd0150b.jpg

Old and new.

IMG_7217Large_zps033d4573.jpg

That will look impressive with a lot of smaller fish.

Have you considered making a really dense area of 'twigs' (manuka/kanuka) as a potential refuge? Could also breed some dwarf cichlids in there too.

A large school of black widows could work too, not a big tetra, but big enough not to be eaten.

Have you considered making a really dense area of 'twigs' (manuka/kanuka) as a potential refuge? Could also breed some dwarf cichlids in there too.

That is exactly what I have in mind for the back right corner! I've been eyeing up various suitably shaped pieces of Manuka while cruising the rails up here and may take my pruning saw to work tomorrow if it isn't too wet. I've got an image in my head, it's just a matter of finding the right shaped twigs to make it happen.

Not really keen on more black/grey fish (except for uaru), really want a bit more colour.

And a few more pics.

Almost a full tank shot.

IMG_7233Large_zps6ed682c0.jpg

I was curious (and a little concerned) at how the corys and panaques would mix, given their size difference, but neither seems phased.

IMG_7313Large_zpsaf7f055f.jpg

IMG_7319Large_zps0ff9a7bf.jpg

IMG_7347Large_zps0698a301.jpg

Corydoras remora?

IMG_7325Large_zpsbef447b3.jpg

Not at all bothered by the size difference.

IMG_7328Large_zps606f0f03.jpg

Videos coming soon...

I agree Hovmoller, I've spent more time in front of the tank this week than in the last few months combined.

I would love a school of spotted silver dollars, but I love the long fins of the angels and geos more!

Yes the sawdust is from the four Panaques, and the driftwood is disappearing at an alarming rate. Time to plan a roadtrip down the west coast to collect some more I think...

When I had my pictus with dwarf cichlids (yes, not a great call) the twigs allowed the smaller fish to do well with them.

Looks good too.

I really like the festivums, bold markings.

Columbian tetras as mentioned by someone else is good for colour, and you're not lacking space.

You will hardly ever see your apistos if you get some in there lol.

They'll go well with the plecs then! Part of the fun with a big tank full of small fish [to me, anyway] is that you're not always going to see every fish in the tank every time you look at it.

As for the discus, I'd love a big school of wilds, but I think it would be an expensive mistake with the Panaques etc. Altum angels on the other hand, if someone could get them in I'd be tempted to remortgage the house...

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up another royal from Henward yesterday, similar size to the other four but with an interesting fine-lined L27-ish pattern and very bold colours. Henwards tank has black substrate so I'll be interested to see if the colour changes at all with the lighter substrate in my tank.

IMG_7359Large_zpsec7ce5ba.jpg

IMG_7364Large_zpsa6aada7c.jpg

IMG_7362Large_zpsdbdab689.jpg

Certainly an L190 with those teeth.

IMG_7370Large_zps4c9b0b9c.jpg