Not quite cycled...can I add water

deinmuter

Hi all,

Bought a AR620 tank on Saturday, got it home and set it up filling about 30L with old/existing tank water, and topped up with tap water which had: Stress Coat, Smart Start bacteria etc.

The filter media was new (should have kept half the noodles) on Sunday, and the tank was running for about a day before the Mrs got a bit impatient and put the fish in...

They seem happy with the extra space and eating, frolicking, generally being happy.

I have just been reading on the forums here re cycling, and I am wondering if there isn't enough bacteria with all the filter media being brand new.

I am about to empty the old tank tonight (approx 25L left in it) and thinking if it is worth/any point in:

- Removing some water from the new tank, and replacing it with the remaining water from the old tank

- Rinsing the media from old filter in the new tank

Just not keen on anything happening to my fishies!!!

Advice would be much appreciated.

THanks,

Ed

If you are not using the old filter, and it is still wet, add it to the new tank and run both filters together.

Or use old media (it it was kept wet) in new filter.

The fish will be happy for now, until the toxins build up - 4 - 6 days down the track.

A test kit would be helpful at this stage as you could use it to daily check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. That way you know when a water change is needed before toxic levels get too high.

Awesome info thanks :gopo:

We generally do a 20% water change weekly anyway, so will continue to do so until things have settled. We were hoping to do them fortnightly with the bigger tank, but will test and keep it weekly as recommended

The old tank was a Juwel, so it has the BioFlow filter foam(s) - it has been kept wet, so might plop one into the new filter for now.

However the old tank had snails, and we're not too keen on transferring them into the new tank - any suggestions?

So don't bother with the old tank water? Just top up with new water (with stress coat, bacteria) and throw out the old?

Thanks!

Ed

Good point about the free water :slfg:

Time is the only issue...

How 'stocked' would our tank be based on an AR620 tank?

- RTS

- red spot pleco

- 8 neons

- 4 silvertips

- 4 zebra danios

- blue dwarf gourami

We're thinking plants to go in the tank to help with nitrates etc.

Thanks

Good point about the free water :slfg:

Time is the only issue...

How 'stocked' would our tank be based on an AR620 tank?

- RTS

About 200% stocked.

- red spot pleco

About 400% stocked

- 8 neons

- 4 silvertips

- 4 zebra danios

- blue dwarf gourami

About 100% stocked.

Sounds like you're around 700%

You know how big redspots alone get?

hitchhiker.jpg