April 17, 201412 yr comment_548978 Not been around here much of late but I have a question: How low a tem can my goldspot pleco go to? He has been in the native tank at 20 deg all spring and summer and has grown well from about 6cm to maybe 15+cm (brought at about 4cm?). Now that the night temps are starting to fall the tank is getting down to about 19 deg by the morning. Should I move him back to the 180L guppy/planted tank (sitting at about 23) Report
April 17, 201412 yr comment_548982 Sorry can't help with how cold they can tolerate but when my heater malfunctioned and found all the rest of my fish floating belly up in 41 degree water my goldspot was still doing ok. Report
April 17, 201412 yr comment_548992 They're pretty tough from my experiences - can you put a heater in there to keep it above say 20 degrees? Or are you trying to get a proper cold cycle for the natives? Report
April 17, 201412 yr comment_548996 I'm surprised it could handle 20 degrees and do well but in my opinion its not a particularly kind thing to do over winter. I would suggest moving it back to your warmer water tank, at least over winter. Report
April 18, 201412 yr comment_549001 I have kept them in aquariums without heaters indoors no noticeable issue, i dont believe however this is a good idea and not fair on the animal. Report
April 18, 201412 yr comment_549002 I would move him back to the guppy tank. Its a bit different when the days are warmer but once the days cool off, while it may survive it will no longer thrive. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.