February 21, 201412 yr comment_546398 well i am now in persuit of any fin type with black orchid in it...... if nayone knows who has something with this genome plzzzzzz msg me. Report
July 30, 201412 yr comment_552939 Sorry to say but they are very rare because out of each batch of eggs only 4 will live Report
July 30, 201412 yr Author comment_552955 I would like an explanation also, I read that melano females are infertile but this survival rate of BO betta is a new one Report
July 30, 201412 yr comment_552962 Melano are not so much infertile but you will not get a surviving fry from a melano female. There is something in the melano gene that causes the outer shell of the eggs to dissolve before they hatch. I have bred black lace before and I do not recall difficulty with my spawn hatching. Report
July 30, 201412 yr comment_552976 I think the staff member may have gotten mixed up with Melano and Black Lace. Over my many years of breeding betta I have found that nothing beats actual experience. Heres a link to a short write up about the various 'black' betta splenden http://bettasource.com/more-betta/genet ... ors/black/ Report
July 31, 201412 yr comment_552992 It is more likely that the genetics are complicated and out of all the offspring you could expect only a few looking like the parents. Report
August 19, 201412 yr comment_553618 It is more likely that the genetics are complicated and out of all the offspring you could expect only a few looking like the parents. Well from my basic knowledge of Betta's genetics there is 4 layers of skin cells each making up the coloration. I think there's something like 20,000 genes controlling the various layers so getting parents with all the correct alleles would be damn near impossible. With two "perfect" parents you would get 100% offspring the same as their parents, but with all the variables I would expect its around 30%. So I'd say alan's answer is the best. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :sml1: Report
August 25, 201412 yr comment_553704 Black orchid/black lace are pretty easy to breed for even if you've crossed one to a non black fish. The dark body is dominant, irids are difficult to get rid of so they will almost always be present (and technically a fault for black bettas, but it gives them that nice black orchid look). The main difficulties you'll get from crossing a black lace to non black lace will be the amount of spread iridescence ( spread irids will fully cover the black layer with irids, making a blue or copper coloured fish) and also red wash will be present among the fins instead of black. Many red loss fish can gain red back when they become older which really sucks.... Also a lot of black lace carry marble which can quickly turn a promising black fish into an ugly cello. A lot of my f1 from black lace x non black gave a few blacks in the mix, f2 would def yield higher amounts of black orchid. If you can only find one black fish I recommend using a dark bodied blue red loss fish to pair it up with and hope for he best. Also there have been a few black orchid ct popping back up again in petstores so it may look like they're making a comeback :thup: They'll probably have the unnecessarily high price tags attached to them though Report
November 14, 201411 yr comment_556631 currently breeding a line of Black Orchid Crowntails, the females are not fully black yet still showing alot of the steel blue but they are darker then most ive seen so far... not many fry at this stage and just in waiting stage while the females grow haha. Report
November 28, 201411 yr Author comment_557024 would like some of those females, though my male is Super delta, just bred him with his sister , their father was mustard gas funny enough Report
December 4, 201411 yr comment_557258 animates told me everyone learns this mistake once....... Report
January 19, 201511 yr comment_558204 so... this line is not as "easy" as i would have liked it to be... lol alot of the females have ventral loss ( due to feeding) and well we had a spawn of 11 now we have 2 boys and 6 females left.. also appears to be throwing marble... so i may secure the genes in an outcross before i look at putting these on market.. have jsut secured a black orchid female from someone elses line. so should be all good to go soon. Report
January 20, 201511 yr comment_558212 yay for the welly breeders i got this guy. have a week old spawn of about 35-40, paired with a darkish body steel blue CTx fem. could be keen on some swapsies once they've grown out Report
January 26, 201511 yr comment_558418 Are u on facebook? If so search siamese fighter new zealand... we are all breeders n we just chat on there to compare and help with critiquing and we r trying to maybe have a show based on international standards. :f77: we possibly have met..... hahahaha Report
January 26, 201511 yr comment_558431 yeah im on there, jus haven't been breeding for a while(lost my MG HM + spawns, and a couple dumbos + spawns when we had a quake a couply years back) so been more of a troller lately lol. the lack of decent fighters in welly area hasn't gotten me back into it till now lol. Report
March 7, 201511 yr comment_559704 heres my pair if i can get them to breed, the only thing about imports is you have to get their confidence up first and then when they see the female they still are pretty sooky Report
March 7, 201511 yr comment_559705 everyone learns this mistake once....... lol Animates told me to get a plastic feeder for my birdcage from the $2 shop .. like seriously why would I want to feed my much loved parrot from anything form a $2 shop. The first dish got destroyed because he's a PARROT and chews! Ended up getting the product from my trusted seed seller. Report
March 7, 201511 yr comment_559706 heres my pair if i can get them to breed, the only thing about imports is you have to get their confidence up first and then when they see the female they still are pretty sooky All you have to do is to send the pair to me and i'll get them breeding lol Ron Report
March 8, 201511 yr comment_559722 If I was the male and saw that female I'd probably think about running too. It's got such good ray extensions, I'd wonder if it was an immature male in disguise! Report
March 9, 201511 yr Author comment_559756 All you have to do is to send the pair to me and i'll get them breeding lol Ron Ron's right, He can breed all Bettas ( aint seen many better than his HM's) Report
March 18, 201511 yr comment_559972 The male was the problem lack of hormones so he has been flare trained over the past few weeks and now he flares when I walk in the room. No way that lil girls a boy. As I've had eggs. Although they were released to the bottom of the tank. I will try and breed them again this weekend. Now I have the barracks ip and running thjng can start moving more.... And ronnie.... I bought him from you I'm not sending him back... Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.