Pool clean

Caryl

I am hoping to clean my fishpond out this Sunday. If anyone is near and would be willing to help it would be appreciated. We need to totally drain it (we have a pump for that) remove the plants, find and catch the fish (and turtle), scoop out the sludge, then put the fish and plants back in new water.

I can provide food and drink and grateful thanks :love:

I am hoping to clean my fishpond out this Sunday. If anyone is near and would be willing to help it would be appreciated. We need to totally drain it (we have a pump for that) remove the plants, find and catch the fish (and turtle), scoop out the sludge, then put the fish and plants back in new water.

I can provide food and drink and grateful thanks :love:

I'd help, but...:P

Well the pond has been half emptied. The major problem is the fine mulm that rises up at the slightest movement. I am worried about it suffocating the fish (no sign yet of the turtle)

We filled a stock trough with pond water and the fish we have caught so far have gone into there. The bronze ones are harder as they disappear in the gloom as we disturb the bottom.

I have been hauling out handfuls of tree branches, leaves etc and am pulling out all the oxygen weed, as it is easy enough to get more. The current weed had taken over the pond and had quite a bit of algae on it.

Any suggestions on the best way of removing the fine mulm? The bottom is uneven so I doubt we can get enough water out of it to scrape it out. It is so fine it goes through nettting.

We will try and see if it will go through the non submersible pump (that usually runs the filter and waterfall) without blocking it.

If anyone is passing tomorrow and wants to give a hand, you would be most welcome! :love:

We have a bucket through which many holes were drilled. It was then lined with wind break material. This is working well to stop the larger stuff.

Fingers crossed the pump will handle the fine stuff. It is easy to pull apart and clean, or replace bits, for that matter.

What are these and are they good or bad for the pond?

critters_zpsc57ac86d.jpg

Alice came over and helped me lift out the plants and catch more fish. Those bronze ones really know how to blend in!

Still no sign of the turtle but she may have moved out overnight - if she had sense.

Filled a wheelbarrow high with oxygen weed.

PS. Alice is looking forward to her share of the baking.

Nice thought! 8)

Pond has been refilled. Still waiting for more oxygen weed to be added and fish put back in. Wanted to get the temperature up a bit first.

Grant hopes to finish a new filter today. The one we have clogs constantly so he is building a mesh cage around the inlet so it stops sucking up leaves and muck (we hope).

Still no sign of the turtle :thup:

• 2 months later...

Well, that was last October. This is what the pond looks like now...

PondJan2014_zps49454257.jpg

fishJan2014_zpsa16a35bd.jpg

We have hung some ferns off the front of the deck at the far end...

FernsatendofpondJan2014_zps0d520931.jpg

This is the view of the pond as you come around the end of the house...

Frontlawnfromright_zps9b4928ff.jpg

PS: Still no sign of the turtle so it must have gone back to its own home :dunno: