found these ugly beasts at western springs in auckland today

disgustipated

XjGfKgH.jpg

4HoKbOg.jpg

G8O50oO.jpg

there were many of them, shoaling together...

CSN3nP0.jpg

this is the first time i've seen them here, and i've been visiting this park for years.

always heaps of shortfin eels. i have often seen koi carp, goldfish, grass carp, gambusia, and something trout/mullet like.

but today all i saw was these monsters, some well over a foot long.

and of course the eels. a swarm of eels. or the collective noun i prefer to use..

a spaghetti of eels...

LcAC5lx.jpg

anyway that's my show and tell for today.

i'm sure someone geeky will inform us of their scientific name very soon...

They're brown bullheads, Ameiurus nebulosus, and illegal to keep or return to the water alive.

I caught some while i was there putting bread around my finger then grabbing there bottom jaw once they bit. From my last count there where 4 species of unwanted fish in there.

quite a popular redneck past-time I believe! :lol:

the swans and geese are annoying as. they attack little kids.

personally i think i could solve the problem in a day or two with nothing but a baseball bat...

last time they did a bit of culling on the geese, heaps of people complained.

and apparently swans are protected by the queen? what the...!?

The catfish have been there for the last 5 years or so. It is a closed lake/stream system meaning the catfish cannot travel to other water ways. They have just culled the geese recently (last year) but they are still annoying.

The catfish have been there for the last 5 years or so. It is a closed lake/stream system meaning the catfish cannot travel to other water ways.

does this mean that the Auckland City Council is illegally keeping a noxious species????

why not just tell the local fish and chip shop, turn a blind eye, and they will disappear overnight

does this mean that the Auckland City Council is illegally keeping a noxious species????

why not just tell the local fish and chip shop, turn a blind eye, and they will disappear overnight

Western Springs Lake suffers from algae blooms from all the bread and bird poop in the water. They leave them just like the Koi to keep the water clean.