More Flow - Wavemaker or Internal Filter??

Finznfangs

Ok, What would you reccommend for a 1200mm x 300mm x 450mm tank holding around 17ish Electric Yellows and a couple of cichlids i dont know what they are, will post a pic if i could get a hand with ID.. (later tonight if i can snap the little beeeeep) I am currently running a CF1000 and Aquaone 300 HOB (which i will be removing to put in my fry tank its just been cycling on the main tank)

I am wanting MORE flow in the tank there are dead sopts at both ends of the tank......Wavemaker or Internal Filter??

I am thinking Filter because well more filtration the better.... Thoughts??

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... 04f/m/930/

I am thinking the above???

I always put my spray bars on the side to push from one end to the other.But that maybe personal preferance over function. Or you could have one on the side, one on the back.

Yeh, it would most likely give the swirly wirly motion in your tank.Your Africanos will love it

I have wanted to try the SUNSUN, but by the time you get them shipped here its cheeper to get one at the pet shop. Ok, will get these cichlids some more filtration and flow. Exciting times. cheers for your help :)

And Cam - did you drain some of the water from your tanks after the quake??? Mine are still about a third empty. I had some spillage!

a Cf1000 is good enough for that tank. Gross amount of water you will have is 162L, less glass thickness, substrate and anything else you have in the tank and less what ever water level is below the top of the tank.

I'd estimate 140 to 150L of water so that means your turning over 6 to 7 times the volume per hour and i have always worked on 5 or 6 times so in my experience your all good with what you have.

If you want more flow put the spraybar on the end panel aiming down the length of the tank with the outlet at the same end, i have always set up my 4 footers like that and it works well. I also keep a lot more than 20 cichlids in a 4 footer and i always over feed.

No I didn't change a thing, mainly because I am running 2 sumps so I changing the water level just isnt gunna happen.

I didn't notice any spill in my nonsumped tanks, I figure if its big enough to move a decent amount of water out of the tank, its probably big enough to move the tank of a stand

a Cf1000 is good enough for that tank. Gross amount of water you will have is 162L, less glass thickness, substrate and anything else you have in the tank and less what ever water level is below the top of the tank.

I'd estimate 140 to 150L of water so that means your turning over 6 to 7 times the volume per hour and i have always worked on 5 or 6 times so in my experience your all good with what you have.

If you want more flow put the spraybar on the end panel aiming down the length of the tank with the outlet at the same end, i have always set up my 4 footers like that and it works well. I also keep a lot more than 20 cichlids in a 4 footer and i always over feed.

I was doing the math also before i went out and purchased.. With all the rocks in there with water displacement also.

I think i am going to take your advice and change the position of the spraybar to the end of the tank, obviously shorten it because it wont fit thus that will make the flow faster with fewer holes etc, if it seems to be struggling to get the water back into the tank i will drill some more holes in it. See how they react to the change.

What makes you think the 5,000LPH is too much for your 2m Smidey? I have a 12,000 and 6,000 in my tank and don't get that impression

the fact it has way to much flow. my plants are bent over and teh fish look like they are in a fast flowing stream.

Seems strange to me wanting so much flow for lake-dwelling fish.

I don't use spray bars on canisters, they seem terribly restrictive to me and the piss-weak trickle that comes out of them does nothing for circulation. If you're getting waste building up try replacing the spray bar with just a 90* elbow. Air stones can also be useful for helping prevent crap building up in certain spots too.

I don't use spray bars on canisters, they seem terribly restrictive to me and the piss-weak trickle that comes out of them does nothing for circulation. If you're getting waste building up try replacing the spray bar with just a 90* elbow. Air stones can also be useful for helping prevent crap building up in certain spots too.

all my CF canister create quite a good flow. On my 1200x500x500 it creates quite a flow with the spraybar aimed down the length of the tank and the outlet at the same end as the spray bar. When you throw food in it quickly goes to the far end of the tank and heads back toward the outlet, certainly more than enough flow for africans and to remove most or all solid waste (depending on what is on the bottom stopping it).

What makes you think the 5,000LPH is too much for your 2m Smidey? I have a 12,000 and 6,000 in my tank and don't get that impression

Yeah, I'd say that's a good amount of flow. I really don't like the "stagnant" look of many tanks and even lakes, especially big ones, have a bit of current.

in reality it is too much. I have aimed it toward the surface and back wall to try to reduce the flow in the tank, it's still too much but it's not as bad as straight down or across the tank.

Maybe you need some less weak girly plants. My plants are tough manly plants and they just wave peacefully in the current.

I have my 12,000 aimed at a big bit of wood at one end so it breaks the flow, and halfway along the 5,000 points to the front glass breaking the flow again. I seldomly see any fish being pushed off of their course unless they swim rite up close to it, but that would happen with the spray bar anyway