More Flow - Wavemaker or Internal Filter??

Finznfangs

maybe my 5000lph is pushing more than rated, even aimed the way it is it is creating a skimmer action on the far end of the tank (2.0m) and is leaving food particles on the glass just above the water line as the ripples lap against it.

I am strugging with val in my discus tank bending in the current, i think i am going to change that to a ducks bill just to see. But i think i really need to trim my val and some other plant i dont know, they are nearly 1M long! Hopying the trim will promote more shoots.

On the original topic note, i changed the spray bar last night to the end of the tank with the inlet pipe, put the airstone at the opposite end, and put the HOB filter just past halfway at the opposite end of the spraybar. They seemed to like the change, they are very active around the HOB and a few of them are dancing around the spraybar. :thup: I am keeping a close eye on them.

Thought I'd try taking a little video of my tank. This is with two CF1200s and two Seio M820s...So, according to specs of everything that would be up to 8600 LPH of current. Yeaahh...I'm sure they're not anywhere near that. But it could use more current.

http://youtu.be/1OdZh2dxjBk

It's really cloudy at the moment because I just did a water change, turned off the filters and they spat crap everywhere when I turned them back on. They overdue for a clean.

Also my cellphone takes the worst videos ever.

8000LPH is a heck of a lot of current, and I think you're right in presuming the manufacturers specs are over-exaggerated. The Laguna MaxFlo 11000 on my tank is pushing around 8-8500LPH at a conservative estimate, based on ~100cm head, less than ideal 40mm return plumbing, and a bit of a fudge factor (claimed 2504GPH @ 4' head, = 9479LPH). This is enough to have water cascading over the 50cm wide wiers in my sump in a big waterfall, is enough to max out a 50mm drain at full siphon, and enough that with the 40mm return plumbing before I added the spraybar with just a 45* elbow on the end of the return it would have been blowing over fish half way along the tank. I'm not sure how big the tank in the video is, but it doesn't look massive, I think if you had actual [not manufacturers claimed] 8000LPH it would be a whirlpool.

8000LPH is a heck of a lot of current, and I think you're right in presuming the manufacturers specs are over-exaggerated. The Laguna MaxFlo 11000 on my tank is pushing around 8-8500LPH at a conservative estimate, based on ~100cm head, less than ideal 40mm return plumbing, and a bit of a fudge factor (claimed 2504GPH @ 4' head, = 9479LPH). This is enough to have water cascading over the 50cm wide wiers in my sump in a big waterfall, is enough to max out a 50mm drain at full siphon, and enough that with the 40mm return plumbing before I added the spraybar with just a 45* elbow on the end of the return it would have been blowing over fish half way along the tank. I'm not sure how big the tank in the video is, but it doesn't look massive, I think if you had actual [not manufacturers claimed] 8000LPH it would be a whirlpool.

I don't know if it would be a whirlpool. 8000 LPH is roughly 20X turnover. If I could have the entire flow moving in one direction it would flow from one side of the tank in 3 minutes. So, an average of let's see .015 miles per hour.

What a weak whirlpool...:P

Spray bars at the ends of the tanks for the flow?? rather than on the back of the tank?? or would that create a washing machine type flow??

:iag: I had that until recently - a spray bar at each end. It ended up with dead spots in the weirdest places. I turned the less powerful bar so it faces the glass (couldn't be bothered moving it to the other end with the other one) pointing down a little, and now the circulation in the tank is way better. It goes along the top, down one end, back along the bottom and back up at the starting end. Much better :bounce: