My 200l planted tank. First "real" build!

Asmodeus

The brown stringy stuff is just your tank settling in. A few weeks and a few water changes should sort it out.

Flourish excel would do the trick on the BBA as long as you don't have any plants sensitive to it (twisted val mostly). I squirt it straight onto the bba every day for a few days and it'll soon die off.

OK cool, I'll try some flourish excel. I have a couple of twisted val plants in my tank but they are not doing very well anyway. I'll try your method of syringing it directly on to the swords that have it.

As far as the snails are concerned, should I bother trying to get rid of them? I could just crush them as I see them I guess? Or make a little snail trap and yank them out? They are only tiny little transparent things at the mo but I know how they can get out of control if left to their own devices

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank has been going for 2 weeks now and is looking good to me :)

9013850193_e591d10a08_b.jpg

I bought some more plants and I'm liking the way it looks now. I will leave this lot to establish or succumb before adding many more. I may add a wee bit more grass.... Spent enough for now though :)

Tested the water today and got pH = 7.1, NH3 = 0-0.2ppm, NO2- = 0ppm. I added a good pinch of flake food after I did a 40% water change today as it seems like it's struggling to cycle a bit, or is this normal after 2 weeks? Should I add a few small hardy fish? Get another bottle of cycle stuff?

I dosed with flourish excel today too after my water change. Managed to suck a load of the algae out carefully with the gravel vac :bggrn:

Thanks guys. All the plants are moving a little, as in some gentle swaying but could move more. I only have a 1000lph wavemaker but at the mo it is pointing upon a diagonal so it stirs the surface well. I shall experiment pointing it in different directions and see if I can get a better current going. 2000lph might be too much. Adjustable would be good...

OK then suggestions for a hardy fish to add and how many? Have heard mountain minnows are good starters

Just chuck 10 small tetras in. They will be fine, just do regular WC's ( 3 time a week for the first few weeks).

OK. I thought they weren't very hardy, or won't it matter?

Also, what % water changes should I do and how often should I test for NH3+ / NO2- during this time? :dunno:

Thanks! Just don't wanna hurt the little buggers if I can avoid it :love:

OK thanks :)

To confirm; "Correctly" is 3 water changes per week of 30%, have some ammo lock on hand in case there's a spike and keep an eye on their behaviour/condition? Test water every day, every 2 days?

EDIT:

Local hardware store has ammonium sulphate, so gonna grab a bit of that instead and try the fishless option :thup:

OK thanks guys. I just see so many conflicting bits of info here and everywhere elswe. Some people claim all the store-bought cycle products are junk, others swear by them. Some say add fish, others would rather chop their own leg off than do so... Kinda confused now but I figured if I add actual ammonia I'd get things rolling better/fasterr with no risk to any critters. (NH4)2SO4 is cheap as chips and a bag will last me literally forever so I think I'll go with that. I did add a good pinch of fish food last night so hopefully that starts to rot soon and help out too

:nilly:

Lesson one: There are many ways to cycle an aquarium.

Lesson two: The best way is the one that works for you.

Lesson three: Only experience will allow you to find out what the best way for you is.

In the mean time enjoy your experiences.

Thanks!

I believe I have now learned lesson one :) Still working on lessons 2 & 3

It doesn't take up too much room actually. A couple of parts jut out a bit but only 10cm or so I think. You can kind of tell from this pic (mine is the other way up)

big_canyonrock_11.jpg

Today is my 3 week update :) All is going well, algae is minimal, I did a double initial dose of flourish excel which knocked it right back. Val didn't like it though and has melted right back too... Hopefully it will re-sprout :) I have been dosing with cloudy ammonia and by tomorrow it should be up to 4ppm. I was due to do a weekly water change today but I figured no point as water is OK (wee bit cloudy) but still no fish and I would just be delaying the cycle more. Ammonia was 2ppm today, nitrite 0 and pH 7.1. Once I get to 4ppm I will keep it there until nitrites and nitrates start showing, then once the ammonia and nitrite drop off, I'll do an 80% water change and add some fish :)

Anyway here's what she looks like today. Val has died back but other plants are doing fairly well so far. Not added any more since last time

9073328817_3c1ef751e2_b.jpg

Do you agree about holding off on the water changes for now?

looks real natural, only thing i dont like is the different pebbles in contrast with the larger rocks.

also in the future the swords upfront will look horribly out of place as they get bigger. perhaps move them backward and replace with dwarf sag?

Thanks for the feedback :) Good call on moving the swords. They look good where they are at their current size but I agree they will be too big for there eventually. I didn't mind the other coloured stones and other people had commented on them positively but I guess it's down to personal preference. As they get some more algae on them and look more aged they will probably look better. Easy to move anyway and I'm sure I'll want to change the way it looks eventually :)

Has anyone got any input about the ammonia vs water change thing? I am up to 4ppm now but nitrite still 0. Should I still do my weekly water change (20%) and then add a bit more NH3 or just wait? Is 4ppm where I want it or should I go higher?

Cheers!

this makes an interesting case for doing water changes while cycling http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/226664-why-water-changes-during-cycling-are-good/

so I wouldn't feel too bad about doing your once a week change if you want, but you probalby dont need to. I think the ppm you want to go up to depends on the number of fish you want to put in initially - the more ammonia your bio filter manages to deal with the more fish it can deal with