ratbag01

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The requirement really for finding fresh water shrimp that I have found is;

Under an altitude of 40m

Close to the ocean

Close to an estuary (or large area of slow moving shallow water)

lots of plant life ( oxygen weed etc. )

I got mine in a cold stream around tauranga, get a net and disturb the plants and cross your fingers.

They can be quite difficult to see so keep an eye out.

Also if you want them to last a while in your tank, only get the smallest ones you can find. As they mature they change from males to females, and as yet I havent found out about anyone breeding them or keeping females for more then a few months.

Hope this helps

+1 on all of that, but...

I have found them all the way up to about 60m asl and about 160 km inland. Seen good populations in streams with no tidal section or estuary, and in streams with near no in-stream plant life. I have also seen above a semi-hanging culvert with a drop of around 1m.

I have had females last several months but not had larvae hatch - berried females tend to die quickly or abort the eggs

• 2 months later...

hrmmm the altitude is actually quite variable

I have a collection site that the topomap records at just below 100m

from what I've gathered they do mass migrations when they come inland and can literally swarm up and over waterfalls quite easily. a tutor at Polytech told me about one time he was out spotlighting and came across a migration that was about 1cm thick swarming up a vertical rock well over 3m high.

they are detritivores so need a bit of mulm to feed but plants are more there as hidey spots in areas with little predators they will happily go where they please.

females breed once every 1-2 months in the wild and die after about 6-8 months of this, they normally move downstream during their first spawning though so the berried females downstream are thought to be the oldest.

if you see gambusia in the stream you will find they are a lot rarer to find (and in some cases impossible) I think this is as the gambusia would find the young shrimp irresistable. Normally I walk away when I see gambusia as the few I would catch are not worth my time. (although popping gambusia can be fun, especially when you've walked a while (or through mud/blackberries/gorse))

• 1 month later...

They are called freshwater shrimp for a reason :bggrn:

Try any of the streams that drain into either the harbor or directly into the sea, looks for places with lots of plants in the stream and drag the net through them, good luck.

binu, they do ok at 24 if there is plenty of dissolved O2. they start to die at above 25 deg.

There will be shrimp in the waikato in Hamilton, I have seen them in streams that flow into the Waipa at Pirongia, but I have always found better numbers nearer the coast - as per the link LA gave

I've had them survive in tanks for over a year at 24deg. They always get eaten in the native tank at temps that they normally live at (native tank is at 14 in winter and 18 in summer)

where there is one there is probably more.

they will tend to hang out in the slower flow areas of a stream. I would say they are shallower, but that is because where I get them they hang out in the marginal plants along the bank as there is no vegetation on the stream bed itself

just about always in the vegetation, i tend to find quite a few in smaller slow moving creeks with lots of cover, preferably without Gambusia

Im not familia with Gambusia, what is it? And next time i go i will take a bottle trap like the ones people use to lure aquarium shrimp in to move them to another tank, anyone reckomend a good bait/food to use to attrack them?