giant mealworms

Buddha

Are they allowed in nz, would be awesome if we can get some one day ..

No they are not

some have come in, but those peole got busted with them.

I heard a rumour, as far fetched as it is.

that mealworms and superworms were mixed up and now cannot be separated.

wonder if its true. some mealworms do look big and similar to superworms,

but i dont think they can cross breed.

they won`t breed untill in the beetle anyway?what I have read on the net the superworms don`t pupate unless put under some form of stress?one site said something along the lines of locking a worm in a film canister for a week or 2 to make them change?

they won`t breed untill in the beetle anyway?what I have read on the net the superworms don`t pupate unless put under some form of stress?one site said something along the lines of locking a worm in a film canister for a week or 2 to make them change?

This is true. I used to breed and sell them in SA. When the worms were full size I would put them in fishing tackle boxes, the ones with lots of little compartments. Each one would go in their own compartment with no food or water. I would place the tackle box with worms in a heated box. They would start to pupate within a week. It is almost as if they have to get to a point where they realise that there is nothing left to live for or do in there worm form and are forced in to the next stage of the cycle. The beetles are huge!