Needing the quietest most efficient filter, yours any good?

Monzae

Aqua Clear's are great but they are only quiet if you can fill the water level up to the edge of the filter return overflow, otherwise you have the noise of trickling water constantly. They will also require more maintenance than a canister filter as they clog more quickly. On the plus side, they are quicker and easier to maintain that a canister and cleaning them out is a 5 minute job.

I have had my Jebo 819 canister running a few years now with no problems or noise. In fact I have to put my hand on the canister to check it is running! I clean it out every 18mths - 2 years.

My tank is a similar size to yours, just a bit bigger.

i used a sunsun for a while and was told it was quite noisy. maybe i got a bad one. my fluval 104 and 304 are very, very quiet - apparently. personally i can't hear much of anything these days. if you can't find a quiet filter you should try playing in metal bands for 15 years and losing half your hearing. worked well for me.

Awesome, I did want to try a Canister filter really, they all sound really great. It can be enclosed in the cupboard below the tank so that should knock out even more of the potential sound, I'll wait to hear more of your answers before I decide. Can you all indicate the sound yours gives btw? like hums lightly or just trickle sound or more like bubble sounds etc? and water level up to rim for the Aqua clear, very useful information. Cheers

My Jebo is in a cupboard next to the tank. It has a slight swishy hum I can only just hear if I open the cupboard door and listen intently with the radio and other stuff turned off. I suspect some of the slight sound it the water swishing through at great speed.

It isn't until you have a power cut that you realise how much background hum there is in the average home.

Well my brother has to sleep in the living room where the tank will be stationed atm, so the plan is including the background noise of your every day items running, I expect someone to be able to sleep through it xD that may be too much to ask, HOB filters would actually be fairly noticeable whilst trying to sleep, right?

I used a cf1200 for a couple of months and then upgraded to a Eheim 2075 on my 260l tank.

I upgraded as the water was never 100% clear and there didn't seem to be much flow out of the 1200.

You would be hard pressed to find any difference in sound between the 1200 and the 2075. They are both very quiet and really can only be heard if all other sound sources are turned off first and you open the cupboard door where the filter is housed. That said, the Eheim is slightly quieter, has better flow and best of all the water is 100% clear now. But then, you can buy 4 1200's for the price of 1 2075 and still have change. If I was going to do it again I would get a 1200 and fill it up with Eheim media.

That price certainly does make a good argument. I'm getting the heater and light out of the way now and will continue looking in to all my filter options. I cleaned the tank up nicely and positioned it in the perfect spot in my living room, just need to varnish up the cabinet. Very excited to get some big fish in for a change. :happy1:

i have had three aqua one CF's for around 5 years and i have had a great run out of them. For the money they are the best option i think, if you want to spend several hundred more then go for eheim or fluval but i don't think you'll be much better off if at all. I have heard of several people also having good experiences with the sunsun canisters to, i have not had sunsun canisters but other sunsun products i have had have been excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

From my personal experience Eheims are amazing. That's all I run on my tanks now. They are definitely worth the extra cost, and also keep in mind that the filtration media that they come with is of high quality compared to that of a lot of other filters.

Very cool, I've decided to go with the Eheim 2215, probably going to go buy it in about 2 weeks if everything goes to plan, I'll let you guys know when it's on and pop up some pics. I've also decided to have smaller fish and quite a number of them rather than an Oscar or something as large, I love Oscars but I think a community tank is better suited to the location of the tank.