superglue query

superico

hey guys,

im wanting to use one of these: for CO2 diffusion

http://www.aquariumline.com/catalog/ehe ... anguage=en

and power it with a pump and use a spray bar so like this:

Co2 hose ]

pump > diffuser > spray bar

but the diffuser > spray bar is not exactly a perfect fit( there is like 5mm missing) and the only method i see is using superglue or silicone and i don't have any aquarium silicone so my question is, is it OK to connect plastic in a high flow area using superglue?

cheers

superico

supaglues are various forms of cyanoacrylates. They are generally non toxic apart from breathing the fumes or glueing your lips together. Because the compound contains cyanide it does not mean it is cyanide. That is a bit like saying common salt is toxic because it is sodium metal and chlorine gas. Most flexable plastics don't glue well and supa glue works on sticking two items together that are in contact. It does not act as a filler/adhesive. I have used a hot glue gun with success on some plastics.

other than the toxic elements of super glue

superglue is only super if its dry it just wont hold for long at all if its wet

might be worth hitting mitre 10 for the right silicone that's $20, after all are the fish not worth the $20 to keep them happy and know they will live?

other option is squeeze a bit of hose over both ends?

other than the toxic elements of super glue

It's not toxic. Minor contact irritant at worst and is commonly used for sealing wounds and, in a slightly less irritating formulation in surgeries.

superglue is only super if its dry it just wont hold for long at all if its wet

Holds just fine when wet. Water makes it set quicker, once it's set it is not effected by water.

might be worth hitting mitre 10 for the right silicone that's $20, after all are the fish not worth the $20 to keep them happy and know they will live?

Are cheap FW fish worth more and more delicate than $100+ each marine fish and corals? Superglue is used all the time in attaching corals to rocks in marine tanks.

really? Ive always found when i use superglue around water it just peels away with hardly any stick

i also didn't know about using it with corals in salt water tanks because Ive only got fresh water and always used silicone

i think Ive now found a new little friend .. :hail: MR SUPER GLUE!!!!! :bow:

really? Ive always found when i use superglue around water it just peels away with hardly any stick

i also didn't know about using it with corals in salt water tanks because Ive only got fresh water and always used silicone

i think Ive now found a new little friend .. :hail: MR SUPER GLUE!!!!! :bow:

Probably hardly stuck because superglue sets on contact with water. Try and put it onto something that's wet and it sets the instant it touches the water on the surface before it even touches what you're trying to glue together underneath. :)