DIY customwood stands...

David R

I'm building a customwood cabinet for my 270L 4' tank, like the overpriced ones you see in the shops, and I'm wondering if 18mm customwood will be thick enough or if I should go for 21mm. The stand will be a three-sided box with doors on the front and a piece of 4x2 running accross the front with a leg in the middle to stop it from sagging. 21mm customwood is a bit cheaper than the 18mm stuff at work [carters] but its quite a bit heavier so I'd rather not use it unless absolutely necessary.

If you are just using the 21mm for uprights then why not just slice up a cover sheet, one of the guys at work (Placemakers) built a stand for both his 2 foot and 4 foot tanks out of coversheets and it didn't matter as he painted it any way.

B

Why why why why WHY would you use customwood? Horrible stuff, I absolutely hate it. NOTHING for fish tanks should ever be made of custom wood. Even with relatively tight fitting lids just the moisture in the lid destroys it. Let alone if you spill some water.

Ok, done with my rant.

IRA is 100% correct. Don't belive us, come vist me and have a look at my bow froned tank cabinet, quality customwood job. Its completely borked and I am getting a quote now for complete replacement (in Rimu this time). 3.5 years old.

Custom wood and water = MISTAKE.

Pie

We have had a few made out of customwood (MDF) and had them sprayed professionally with multifleck and absolutely no problems. They are still as good as the day they were made. Cabinets made in 18mm and hoods in 12mm.

Customwood is MDF(Medium density Fiberboard) It's what most of those black stands you see around are made of. If it's well coated with polyurethane or similar it would be ok. But, I'd still prefer just standard plywood.

I would say 18mm thick custom wood would be suitable as I currently have a stand made entirely out of 18mm.

Most important thing to note is that custom wood will sag, especially on the top if you have no bracing.

for a 4 ft long top I would ensure that you had 4 pieces of uprights in the frame. 2 sides and 2 in the middle to spread the weight. 4x2 in the front and back would not hurt either but I would have it rebated into the uprights so that it also has support.

To stop the customwood from soaking up the water I would recomment that you paint it really well to stop water from being absorbed into the customwood. Polyurathane will do the trick quite nicely. better still if you can get hold of the meltica coversheets for the top would make quite a difference.

If you are just using the 21mm for uprights then why not just slice up a cover sheet, one of the guys at work (Placemakers) built a stand for both his 2 foot and 4 foot tanks out of coversheets and it didn't matter as he painted it any way.

B

No 21mm coversheets :(

I was also considering making a stand out of 4x2 and using thin ply to cover it [already made two of these, one for a 4'er and one for a 5'x2'x2'] but I thought I'd try making one out of customwood as they look a little nicer.

I've also made one out of tri-board for a 3'x18"x18" tank, I put about 5 coats of paint on it and after 3 years and a few minor floods I havent had any problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was wondering, with all this talk of MDF stands. I had a friend of ours make me one for my 3 footer (90x45x45aprox) This has no bracing down the middle, however it is all supported by a steal frame like a table with out a top with six, instead of four, legs (2 in the middle front and back). Will this be ok or not? I curently have my 3 footer filled, with my precious malawi's zipping around in it.

• 3 weeks later...

MRSkz,

This is how we'd make a steel stand of the approximate size you have stated. The material choice of either stainless steel or mild steel normally depends on the persons budget (but I like stainless myself :lol: ). The larger framing is 50x50x2mm and smaller is 25x50x2mm. We normally use marine Ply Wood to cover the top rather than MDF as it won't swell if it gets wet. On top of the ply we use a close cell PVC type sheet 10mm thick although we're having problems sourcing it and may have to look at alternatives in the future.

1000x750Small.jpg

I hope this helps.

Tank Man.

Hey thanks for that. That's what mine looks like, the steal bits. It does have MDF for the rest of it though. However I also have a piece of MDF (not painted or anything) that the tank sits on and then that sits on the top of the tank stand. That's what I use instead of poly. That's what was used by the people that had the tank before me to sit it on to so....

Good Luck with the customwood.

The main thing to remember is that you have to seal it totally so as it cant get a "sniff" of moisture.

The way I have done this when building stands for people (commercially, and I dont want come backs) is to heat the MDF with a heat gun and then pour molten "PARAFIN WAX" over the whole area and sweat it into the board with the heat gun until it can absorb no more.

I have used Polyurethane and it is good but it breaks down in time with dampness from the tank and doesn't last all that long before you see the MDF start to blister.

Wax is recommended by the manufacturers at the MDF Plant in Nelson, and they actually us it to seal the edges of the sheets.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, (I work in the joinery industry)the green stuff is HMR (High Moisture Resistant) which is better butter not that great. MDF will be fine as a cabinet but I would not recommend making a hood out of it. It even obsorbes moisture out of the air but if it is well sealed it should be fine. I have a sunsun tank & stand, its 200L so weighs over 200kg with the rocks etc. The cabinet has been well designed & only has 6 verticle panels holding all the weight & it is very stable. Its how the weight is transfered to the floor thats important. It has a horizontal panel that the tank sits on, that panels sits on 6 verticles (2xBach,2xends & 2 central divs) which sit on one base panel which has six feet to the floor. Very basic but very strong. Hey david, scooters should have offcuts that you need even if it is plywood.