DIY customwood stands...

David R

MRSkz,

. We normally use marine Ply Wood to cover the top rather than MDF as it won't swell if it gets wet. .

Marine Ply won't swell but it will root. The term marine ply actually refers to a different type of glue used for the laminating & it is not treated. I believe the manufacturers have just renamed it "Premium A" so it isn't incorrectly thought of as treated.

I have just built two tanks and got a friend to build a stand. It is from 25mm box section but the bottom is the same as the top in the picture and that sits on a sheet of 18mm mdf. It is evenly spaced over the floor joists and the ring around the bottom distributes the weight better than down through six legs making points of pressure. The stand contains two tanks 1200x450mm and when full supports a column of water 800mm in total. If you take the force of the water and put it down through legs you are making horendous point sources of pressure on the floor. The stand,mdf and polystyrenene are painted black and it all looks OK.

if you go to a kitchen / joiner they will probably give you a cover sheet for free i once worked for a joiner and we often had to throw them out, as well as having mdf they will also have meltica cover sheets,they would also sell you the proper fittings for assembly.

cheers Jim.

Smidey wrote:

:o:o:o

What were you thinking when you wrote that Smidey :D:D

Not sure what exactely you mean skippy, marine ply will rot as it is NOT treated. treated ply will not rot. the glue laminating process for marine ply is different, its designed to be fibreglassed over not be submerged. As i said it is now called "Premium A". :)